How to add text to movie?

Last updated on 11 years ago
C
Sorry if this is naive question, but I have never done this before. How do I add text to my movie?

I would like to submit movies for two arcade games and I need to input text in them (that "played by: me" and "www.longplays.org"). VirtualDub doesn't have that option (as I sow) and I'm not quite good with Windows Movie Maker. I'm not sure does WMM can save files as MP4 or MKV. So what would be the easiest way to input that few lines of text?

Btw, how can I figure out, in MAME, what is the frame rate of certain game? I see that most arcade movies on longplays have 25 fps.

Thanks,

ccronik
Tsunao
Install AviSynth and make a new AVS file (it opens up like a text editor, like with Notepad):
To add subtitles, copy and paste this script:

subsStart=60
subsDura=300
subtitle("Game Name", first_frame=SubsStart, last_frame=SubsStart+SubsDura, y=height-18*2, size=18, text_color=$ffffff, align=2)
subtitle("Played By XXXX", first_frame=SubsStart, last_frame=SubsStart+SubsDura+5, y=height-18 , size=18, text_color=$ffffff, align=2)
subtitle("www.LONGPLAYS.ORG", first_frame=SubsStart, last_frame=SubsStart+SubsDura+10, y=height, size=18, text_color=$ffff00, align=2)

I...don't think this is in the support forum. That thread has to be spruced up.
You don't use Windows Movie maker for the final file. It will mess up the quality. =P
As for Framerate: I...don't think there is a way. *shrugs* The longplays on Youtube are 25FPS or whatever is because YouTube stream stuff or whatever at 30FPS max (as well as lowering the quality and what-not of videos.).

When in doubt of anything, come to the IRC. We won't bite. Well, I will. :3
C
Yeah, sorry if I missed right forum to post this one.

Anyway, about the frame rate: I meant that videos that I have downloaded here from longplays site have 25fps, not youtube ones. I've taken arcade videos "Bad Dudes vs. Dragon ninja" and "Enduro Racer". I loaded them into "Freemake Video Converter" and it says 25fps. Now, I've been googling a little and I've found article about frame rates in M.A.M.E. It says that frame rates are same thing as frequency in Hz. And for these games MAME gives frequency of 57.392103Hz and 60.000000Hz. So it should be 57.3...fps for the first one and the 60fps for the second one.

Here is also problem how to record video which has different frame rate than 60fps via emulators such as MAME. In case that game has native fps different than 60, MAME is performing some hacks to line video with screen frequency of 60Hz (which modern computers have). So it is not possible to record game via MAME perfectly as originally played on arcade cabinet. But I assume that request for native game resolution is to make video file close to the original, but not to exaggerate.

And now about AVS your script that you have gave me. I get error when trying to open it either with VirtualDub or with some other video app. It says "I don't know what "height" means" and it says that's on line 3 of your script.

Thanks for help

ccronik
Tsunao
I know that script works. I use it on all my videos so the subtitles appear on the bottom of the video, regardless of ressy (just need to play around with font size.).

Did you put in a video loading script? (AviSource or DirectShowSource)

As a general rule for AviSynth: AviSource = avisource = AvIsOuRcE. Scripts or whatever aren't case-sensitive.

As for FPS: you must be using something bad. MPC (Media Player Classic) says Enduro Racer and Bad Dudes video files are 60FPS.

If you use Mame's aviwrite thing, I think it will always chuck videos out at 60FPS. Yes, Mame as an internal recorder.
ScHlAuChi
Please come to our IRC Chat, we will help you there :)
C

Tsunao wrote:

I know that script works. I use it on all my videos so the subtitles appear on the bottom of the video, regardless of ressy (just need to play around with font size.).

Did you put in a video loading script? (AviSource or DirectShowSource)

As a general rule for AviSynth: AviSource = avisource = AvIsOuRcE. Scripts or whatever aren't case-sensitive.

As for FPS: you must be using something bad. MPC (Media Player Classic) says Enduro Racer and Bad Dudes video files are 60FPS.

If you use Mame's aviwrite thing, I think it will always chuck videos out at 60FPS. Yes, Mame as an internal recorder.

FPS - this Freemake Video Converter that I use probably has some bug in GUI with displaying properly frame rate in MKV files.

Yep, I like to use MAME recorder. It's simple and free.

About AviSynth: Huh, I thought that imputing few text lines into video will be very simple, but it looks that I'll have to spend more time than beating the game and recording it. I'll read some documentation about AviSynth. I'm totally new to this kind of stuff.

ScHlAuChi

Ok, I will not today. Now I'm little tired.

By,

ccronik
C
Ok, I checked avisynth documentation and tutorials here on forum, and I managed to encode and upload my first video. I guess that now is up to you to check is it OK.

Btw, I must say that this MeGUI app gives amazing video quality. Way better than these "easy to use" converters.

By,

ccronik
C
Sorry, I don't wanna open another threads so I'll post here again. I've been on shout box and on chat.

- First about chat channel:

I was there about 10 minutes or so, I posted one message, MAD-MAT answered. Then I tried to post response again two times. I sow my responses, but below them was notice something about longplays channel cannot be connected. I thought that it is maybe some connection problem so I tried to re-login to chat. And now I keep getting next message:

08:36 You are banned from the channel #longplays

- About uploaded files:

I have uploaded two times by mistake. One folder had 16 MB non complete video file inside and the other folder had whole file ~90 MB in size. ScHlAuChi deleted that bigger one. It's not problem, I'll upload again, but you can delete one that is left. It is "Arcade - Insector X". FileZilla gives me option to delete folders on that server, but I'm not sure am I allowed to delete things from upload server? I do not want to accidentally delete somebody's else work so I rather leave deleting to administrators.

As said, I'll upload again. Please give me your opinion about video quality. This is my first time work, I used your directions and profiles for MeGUI, so I would like to hear as much as possible info, so next time I could do better.

Thanks,

ccronik
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.