Rant: Y U NO add good screenshots?

Last updated on 10 years ago
JonL
Screenshots in longplays are only there for one single purpose:
People that don't know the game can determine at a glance if the longplay may interest them or not and if they wanna download it.
People could also read the longplay description, but hey! guess what? Most longplayers don't even bother describing the game they're recording, so I guess it doesn't help, does it?

My point is: if your screenshot doesn't show some gameplay, you're doing it wrong. Screenshots showing the title screen are totally worthless.

And yeah, I know you're about to flame me and say something like "Duh! Juste use Google Images n00b", but the fact is why should I have to? "Then just click the Youtube vid to see what the game is about!" Well, longplays are uploaded here long before the youtube vid is made public, and I don't watch lps on youtube anyway.

Bottom line: it's your responsibility as a longplayer to provide the info, and if you can't be bothered to advertise your own work properly by providing a simple description and proper screenshot, I won't bother downloading or watching it.

Just sayin'
Play long and prosper!
Spazbo4
sorry
If I can't be the best then I certainly won't be the worst.
Connor

JonL wrote:
My point is: if your screenshot doesn't show some gameplay, you're doing it wrong. Screenshots showing the title screen are totally worthless.

I seem to recall this being in the rules, back when I started and actually read them. Or perhaps just a recommendation, but either way, I just want to say;

+1 million

Gameplay, not title screen.
Gameplay, not a snapshotlist from VLC/MPC
Gameplay.
GAMEPLAY!!1!1oneone1!

Just be careful not to include spoilers in story-driven games, I did that once. Thankfully noone noticed, or called me out on it...

Sidenote, I wuv you, JonL, Y U NO have my babies? :(
MadMatty
I will keep my Thumbnail shots as I don't think a single screen says enough. Granted the thumbs are random and not always a good shot like a blank screen, but they show what I want to show usually.

As for video descriptions, I do like to read something about what the player thought about the game and good or bad elements encountered during the play through. It really does annoy me when its blank especially as I'm processing them all as well, I like to think the player was playing the game because they wanted to play it and not simply to add +1 to the video count.

And finally a request JonL. Come back as an Admin and help with adding videos, tutorials and anything else you may want to se added. :D
Ravenlord
If it wasn't for this topic, I would have never guessed that JonL is back here :)
Sic Parvis Magna
Tsunao
!
JonL lives!

I have to agree: screeny of gameplay, not title screen. Though, one of my longplays (Chrono Trigger DS) used a screeny of talking, but...it has an error in it, so it is kinda relevant.

Matty: didn't you get the memo? JonL retired! :3
Connor: sowwy Connor. JonL-sama is mines, and mines alone! :33
Connor

Tsunao wrote:
Connor: sowwy Connor. JonL-sama is mines, and mines alone! :33

No hogging the JonL!

Also, everyone is of course entitled to their opinion on screens, but since there seem to be different such options, I really think a rule should be put in place. What actually grates my eyes even more than title screens or snapshotlists is that it is different from LP to LP.

Gameplay
Titlescreen
Snapshotlist
Selfies of the uploader

PICK ONE! (Not directed at the participants of this thread, at the almight rulemakers, ie pick one and make it the rule)
MadMatty
Selfies!!! that's it, its decided ;)
Spazbo4
does that mean i have to get a camera now?
If I can't be the best then I certainly won't be the worst.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.