Legend of Grimrock I and II

Last updated on 8 years ago
CremionisD
Progress: Level 8 completed - About 70% of the game completed!

Total RAW video length currently 5:01:25

If someone has some special requests and/or interests that should somehow make an appearance now is the time to speak up.

EDIT: I will update the status information in this first post..
B
I suggest recording at 720p

In any case, the video resolution should not be higher than 1280x720 (720p) or 1280x800. If you wish to use a higher resolution, ask the opinion of admins beforehand. Videos of very high resolutions require a powerful computer to play smoothly and thus will simply not display properly for most viewers. Many of them don't even have a monitor with a resolution above 1280. Not to mention that generates an unnecessary big file size to download.

http://www.longplays.org/forum/viewth...ad_id=1859
CremionisD

BadJim wrote:

I suggest recording at 720p

In any case, the video resolution should not be higher than 1280x720 (720p) or 1280x800. If you wish to use a higher resolution, ask the opinion of admins beforehand. Videos of very high resolutions require a powerful computer to play smoothly and thus will simply not display properly for most viewers. Many of them don't even have a monitor with a resolution above 1280. Not to mention that generates an unnecessary big file size to download.

http://www.longplays.org/forum/viewth...ad_id=1859

Thanks for the input! Yes, I saw that thread of course. I was merely implying that I could do 1080p, and might prefer it for my part. Anyhow, since there is no feedback to allow this, I will default to 720p...

For me, in youtube, if a video doesn't have at least 720p60, I'm probably not going to bother watching that content unless it is really, _really_ good. But that is my problem, not yours.
Spazbo4
for longplays we say use the original resolution of what the game was made for, for PC games that came out during xbox 360 and ps3 times we do 720p, if you do 1080p for a game made during that period then it might not get approved on the site
If I can't be the best then I certainly won't be the worst.
J
Short answer: You need to record it in 1280x720

We can still do 1920x1080 but for a game like Legend of Grimrock, but it would be superfluous.
CremionisD

JagOfTroy wrote:

Short answer: You need to record it in 1280x720

We can still do 1920x1080 but for a game like Legend of Grimrock, but it would be superfluous.

Yes, I already defaulted to 720p60 for this project.

Question: There is a "submission status" that shows the current projects, but it seems mine is not there. Do I need to do something about this? I failed to find anything in the FAQ/Support section about it. (Perhaps I was being blind or something)...
Spazbo4
you need to be a longplayer first by uploading your first longplay to the ftp and get it approved
CremionisD

Spazbo4 wrote:

you need to be a longplayer first by uploading your first longplay to the ftp and get it approved

Thanks for the info...

I have yet another question/need for advice...

Legend of Grimrock has this nasty feature (from longplayers point of view), that there are no good edit points available -- Any edit that you do will be quite obvious, even though one just continues from a save. Staircases are the best points, but these are rather long way apart, and doing the edit point properly at the staircases requires a bit of trickery and a lot of planning ahead.

The edits will be mostly noticeable from the audio stream. The in-game audio is never quiet, and there are no loading pauses between levels. The auto-save points (=healing crystals) are more hard, as they also will create a visual discontinuity especially when going too fast, and not thinking about the video edits during recording.. (Like I was doing today -- which is why I'm asking for advice).

So am I to restrict my saves to stairs (where edits will be easier to hide)? This can create quite a bit of extra work, and perhaps make for more cautious game play, which will also have the side effect of increasing the playtime. Just so that you know, the level 3 RAW footage by itself is 50 minutes already with rather aggressive style of game play. I know that the time is not a very big concern, but a very cautious style can get boring..

Also, can I make audio fadeout/fadein (or audio crossfade) to edit points to hide the audio discontinuity, or shall I just leave tham "as is" without trying to hide edits? I bet it would be nicer for a viewer to have a bit of extra effort done on the edit points, so it really is a question of how authentic does this have to be while still removing the fails from the video?

If you like, I can also make available some clips that show the problems I have with my level 3 recordings; I can also make some examples of edits that I have in mind.
Spazbo4
why would you need to edit?
CremionisD

Spazbo4 wrote:

why would you need to edit?

You are not asking me to leave in save/load game menus and failed parts, are you?
B

CremionisD wrote:
You are not asking me to leave in save/load game menus and failed parts, are you?

To quote the guide again

- Dying IS OK. We're all human. Just make sure you look like you know what you're doing, not running around playing the game for the first time. Look for walkthroughs on YouTube or Gamefaqs or IGN.com before actually recording.

Remember that you are showcasing the game, not your playing skills. Death is part of the game, so it's not a problem if you die occasionally. If you take dozens of attempts to beat a tricky section of the game, you might want to cut a few failed attempts, but generally you should leave in your deaths.

You should learn the secrets of the game and practise. This will reduce the amount of deaths you suffer (and ensure you don't miss anything interesting). If you are still dying, we won't hold it against you.
Eino

So am I to restrict my saves to stairs (where edits will be easier to hide)?

That's how I usually record PC games, take it one section or a level at a time so edits won't be noticeable and try as many times as needed to get a good run for each. Try to show all the secrets you can without wasting time when you can avoid it. Try to make edits as smooth as possible, but if you need to save where it's not easy to hide, I doubt it will be held against you. If you're willing to do the extra work with audio editing to smooth out transitions, even better.

Please don't include same puzzles and grinds in the video after failing, wasting viewers time and increasing length of the video unnecessarily. Just restart recording from the last save. I know how frustrating this game can get, it's a proper old school HC RPG after all, unlike the other new games where you can always flee when getting owned.

Just my opinion and GL with the longplay :)
CremionisD

Eino wrote:

So am I to restrict my saves to stairs (where edits will be easier to hide)?

That's how I usually record PC games, take it one section or a level at a time so edits won't be noticeable and try as many times as needed to get a good run for each. Try to show all the secrets you can without wasting time when you can avoid it. Try to make edits as smooth as possible, but if you need to save where it's not easy to hide, I doubt it will be held against you. If you're willing to do the extra work with audio editing to smooth out transitions, even better.

Please don't include same puzzles and grinds in the video after failing, wasting viewers time and increasing length of the video unnecessarily. Just restart recording from the last save. I know how frustrating this game can get, it's a proper old school HC RPG after all, unlike the other new games where you can always flee when getting owned.

That is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I am willing to go the extra mile to create a high quality longplay which this game definitely deserves. I've played both LOGs quite a bit; Even when I "get owned", I usually don't end up completely dead, but instead am forced to backtrack quite a bit. I will leave some of these backtracks in (I'm not trying to be perfect here), but if a puzzle/fight gets very wrong many times in a row I would prefer to re-record the entire level if need be than leave in a "load game" screen -- even if that means more work for me. I'm pretty sure viewers will appreciate that for not wasting their time.

Also I do recall something like "You are not allowed to completely die..." in the longplay rules, but perhaps that was at RAG... Anyhow, I think I will re-record level 3 - The autosave recovery is pretty bad (It could have been OK, had I just not being in such a damn hurry to get forward).

Just my opinion and GL with the longplay :)
Thanks -- I'll need it :)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.