Want to make Longplay but require tech assist first

Last updated on 15 years ago
AcesHigh
The title says it all, I have a Wii and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and I want to do a long play of it.

1st problem, I use a video projector and I don't know of a way to capture outside of simply setting a camera up and filming as I play, and I sure don't want to do that because I know from watching videos of this on Youtube that this is the worst way to show something like this. So my question is, is there a tech junky out there who knows of some video capturing software that I can purchase or should I just go buy a better tv (since the reason I use the projector is because our tv is about 11 years old and is kind of fuzzy) and some tv video capturing software?

2nd problem, (although this can easily be eliminated if there is no real answer to the 1st problem) I need a way to capture the audio as well, since my surround sound system is connected via the receiver that the projector is hooked into and the Wii is hooked into via the DVD/VHS Player hooked into the receiver :P. Again this isn't necessarily a huge problem but it's the only way that I see myself doing a longplay of RE4 and I reeeeeeaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyy want to do a longplay of it
I would suggest logging onto the irc channel
Irc.abime.net and asking the guys there what they use ScHlAuChi, and ULTIMA for instance, I think they record videos from consoles.
jmchandler
I use Dazzle...which is a movie recording tool attached to a PC via a usb port. You can play a console game on the TV while you are recording it on your PC. I like to use Pinnacle Studio for the recording. This combo records in DVD quality Mpeg files which can be edited and merged for movies. I then use Pinnacle Studio to convert them to mp4. It takes a lot of work and you have to be pretty committed to doing it, but the end result is quite satisfying. I'll be glad to give you any support that you need. You can email me if you have any questions.
G
Yeah, I want to record what I play on my consoles. I just want to find a way to record whatever is happening on the TV and then I can edit it afterwards.
jmchandler
Check This out:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/
Kohlstream
hey JM. im interesting in doing some longplays and checked out Dazzle Video Creator. sounds great but it seems to get mixed reviews on amazon and other sites that sell it, so i have some questions.

Most of the bad reviews were about problems setting it up, is it really that bad?

Do you know if i could use a different program to capture the video/audio other than the packaged software (such as Adobe Premiere)?

Do you need any additional cables? this is in relation to being able to play it on my TV at the same time as recording it on my pc.

is it able to record/project into capture software (whatever) in widescreen?

If the answers are No, Yes, Yes/No (i can get new cables easily) and Yes then i might order one today.

It seem really hard to find a decent capture device, there dosnt seem to be one stand out product for some reason.

cheers in advance ;-)
AdminBot
I hope someone will help us to make a recording tutorials/guides on how to record your owns games.. for each system.. someone?

Btw i think ULTIMA records RE4 atm.. but not sure.. I think he said so the IRC channel a few days ago.
jmchandler
Hey Kohlstream,

In answer to your questions:

1) Most of the bad reviews were about problems setting it up, is it really that bad?
One of the great things that I like about Dazzle is the ease of it. You connect your console cables to the Dazzle, and connect Dazzle to your TV with RCA Video/Audio cables. There is a USB cord that plugs into you computer...and that is it!!!!!

Do you know if i could use a different program to capture the video/audio other than the packaged software (such as Adobe Premiere)?
I use Pinnacle Studio 11 for my captures. It is not included with Dazzle. It is also good for editing and converting. I'm sure that other programs can be used also.

Do you need any additional cables? this is in relation to being able to play it on my TV at the same time as recording it on my pc.
My first answer, answers the cable question. The TV will be real time, but the pc recording will be about 1 - 2 seconds behind.

is it able to record/project into capture software (whatever) in widescreen?
Yes, it will capture the same resolution as the source. Sometimes I capture old movies off of the TV and convert them to DVD and some of them are widescreen.

It seem really hard to find a decent capture device, there dosnt seem to be one stand out product for some reason.
I agree, I tried several different things before I found Dazzle. I highly recommend it.

Later.
jmchandler
This is the Dazzle product that I have:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Dazzle/Digital+Video+Creator+150

I don't know anything about the newer version.
Kohlstream
thanks for answering jm. i found this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinnacle-Dazzle-Video-Creator-Platinum/dp/B00191BHT2/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

and this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinnacle-Systems-Dazzle-Video-Creator/dp/B00191BHQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1232404335&sr=1-1

They seem to be the latest versions but i cant tell the difference, lol.

I may go for the £50 one as its in stock. The other one i have to wait 2-3 weeks.

EDIT:@hipoonios I think a recording/converting guide would be a great addition to this site, might encourage more people to make them. If i get my setup working then i can add my experiences with it.
G
The problem I'm having is that I recently upgraded to a HDTV and have got the 360 and PS3 hooked up to it via HDMI and the Wii by component cable. I used to have the 360 and Wii hooked up through my DVD recorder via scart but I needed to switch because it was impossible to see in the dark areas of games.

Apparently, one of the scart ports is an output but I can't get it to work. I just want to find a cheap easy way of recording what is being shown on the TV because I don't have a lot of money and can't afford to take risks on products that could be a problem.
AcesHigh
jm the one you have is the same one I have, this is really useful because most of the consoles I planned on longplaying off of were about a rooms length away from the computer where I would hook up to capture any ways. I also use pinnacle so I guess any way you do it I would do the same to get the right end result yes?
jmchandler
Hey Aces,
Yea, except for one thing. I capture the games in sections and then I use
"Total Video Converter" to convert the .avi files to mpg files. For some reason Pinnacle Studio handles the uncompressed mpg files better than the compressed .avi files. I then use Pinnacle to edit and combine the files and convert them into a mp4 640x480 final product. Pinnacle usually does a good job.....but it takes a long time when it is combining and converting.
Sometimes, Pinnacle messes up when there are too many little files. I learned that if you combine the little files into a few larger files, then they will combine/convert better for the final movie.
Please feel free to ask any other question. I am happy to help anyway that I can.

Later.
AcesHigh
Jolly good then, I will keep that in mind whence I start longplaying off my console, which might not be for a month at least, but I appreciate the help.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.