Guide to recording/editing video games

Last updated on 15 years ago
Keplerplaytru
Just for the record, I started recording Lost Horizon and at 60 FPS and my resolution of 1680x1050, it uses 4GB for every 45 seconds. :D
I'll have to make it in 30FPS!
R
I need to download NES emulator recording.
Z
can the emulated games recorded on wegame and resized with windows movie maker qualify ?
Z
making fraps to 30 fps can sabotage and lag your video badly and believe me i tried
JonL
Any resize operation MUST be performed using pure pixel accurate resize. No smoothing, no bluring. Movie Maker resize will certainly blur video, and the resulting video will be rejected.
Play long and prosper!
Tsunao
Necro-cro?

Need a rerecording emulator?
Go here.
Why use something like FRAPS to record emulated game if it has built-in AVI Recorder (though some exceptions I would think are PSX and N64 games.)?

Oh, and why use Movie Maker? Much better stuff can be done: Vegas or just using AviSynth (which really isn't hard to use) and VirtualDub to see changes.

For this site, Movie Maker and Vegas aren't needed (or alllowed?). Good ol' AviSynth (again, not hard to use) and VirtualDub to see changes. MeGUI to make video file.
How do I know that Game usis DiretX or OpenGL and how much fps it has PLZ Replay
V
replay what?
If you want to prove yourself...First you must complete the task you're given. - Auron (Final Fantasy X)
mine comment
R
I try that too. 1920x1080x60fps =15gb for few minutes play.

wondering how can finish this game with only 500gb disk. Now i feel one with 32TB hard drivers is so normal.

J
For recording "normal" PC games (meaning: directX or openGL, no weird stuff) today's best bet is Bandicam. Unlike Fraps, it can use any VFW codec for output, providing that codec supports zero-latency output.

So, you can record 720p or 1080p videos with any lossless codec (for example, x264 have lossless setting and properly supports multi-core CPUs).

A nice lossless compression will cut down video stream from enormous to much more manageable sizes. For example, I'm getting 1Gb of output for each 2-3 minutes of 1080p@60fps record. Much less with 720p. Compared to just saving it in YUV12 that's 5 to 10 times smaller.

Of course you'll need a good CPU.
Oddbrother
How about playing a game in double scale to fulfill the requirements for submitting a longplay video?

Wouldn't that be better than recording in its native form and double-scaling later in the long run of editing.
ScHlAuChi

Oddbrother wrote:

How about playing a game in double scale to fulfill the requirements for submitting a longplay video?

Wouldn't that be better than recording in its native form and double-scaling later in the long run of editing.

That double scaling is only needed for older, pixellated stuff like SNES etc..

As for why record in its native form - becasue it takes 4 times less HD space ;)
Z
I'm having a hard time trying to download the codec correctly.can some explain how to get it and whats a good codec to use if i don't have techsmith?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.