Guide to recording/editing video games

Last updated on 15 years ago
Z
I'm having a hard time trying to download the codec correctly.can some explain how to get it and whats a good codec to use if i don't have techsmith?
ScHlAuChi

Oddbrother wrote:

How about playing a game in double scale to fulfill the requirements for submitting a longplay video?

Wouldn't that be better than recording in its native form and double-scaling later in the long run of editing.

That double scaling is only needed for older, pixellated stuff like SNES etc..

As for why record in its native form - becasue it takes 4 times less HD space ;)
Oddbrother
How about playing a game in double scale to fulfill the requirements for submitting a longplay video?

Wouldn't that be better than recording in its native form and double-scaling later in the long run of editing.
J
For recording "normal" PC games (meaning: directX or openGL, no weird stuff) today's best bet is Bandicam. Unlike Fraps, it can use any VFW codec for output, providing that codec supports zero-latency output.

So, you can record 720p or 1080p videos with any lossless codec (for example, x264 have lossless setting and properly supports multi-core CPUs).

A nice lossless compression will cut down video stream from enormous to much more manageable sizes. For example, I'm getting 1Gb of output for each 2-3 minutes of 1080p@60fps record. Much less with 720p. Compared to just saving it in YUV12 that's 5 to 10 times smaller.

Of course you'll need a good CPU.
R
I try that too. 1920x1080x60fps =15gb for few minutes play.

wondering how can finish this game with only 500gb disk. Now i feel one with 32TB hard drivers is so normal.

mine comment
V
replay what?
If you want to prove yourself...First you must complete the task you're given. - Auron (Final Fantasy X)
How do I know that Game usis DiretX or OpenGL and how much fps it has PLZ Replay
Tsunao
Necro-cro?

Need a rerecording emulator?
Go here.
Why use something like FRAPS to record emulated game if it has built-in AVI Recorder (though some exceptions I would think are PSX and N64 games.)?

Oh, and why use Movie Maker? Much better stuff can be done: Vegas or just using AviSynth (which really isn't hard to use) and VirtualDub to see changes.

For this site, Movie Maker and Vegas aren't needed (or alllowed?). Good ol' AviSynth (again, not hard to use) and VirtualDub to see changes. MeGUI to make video file.
JonL
Any resize operation MUST be performed using pure pixel accurate resize. No smoothing, no bluring. Movie Maker resize will certainly blur video, and the resulting video will be rejected.
Play long and prosper!
Z
making fraps to 30 fps can sabotage and lag your video badly and believe me i tried
Z
can the emulated games recorded on wegame and resized with windows movie maker qualify ?
R
I need to download NES emulator recording.
Keplerplaytru
Just for the record, I started recording Lost Horizon and at 60 FPS and my resolution of 1680x1050, it uses 4GB for every 45 seconds. :D
I'll have to make it in 30FPS!
Keplerplaytru
Thanks man!!

I'm familiar with using fraps and then reediting with videopad and uploading to youtube.

That whole scripting thing is very new to me, but nothing some reading (lot of reading actually), questions and practice won't do.

Another thing that will be a step learning curve is the Virtual Dub, but the video merging was the biggest question of them all, the rest is more a logical thing.

About the reencode videoparts and sizes, I'll see what I can manage over here.

Thanks for the info, coming soon Dead Space (maybe, I may not have the guts to do it...) and Lost Horizon. Don't know in wich order.
Tsunao
I hope I am helpful.
The encoding thing may sound complex, but it really isn't.

I think recording at full size would be better. Should still be viewable.

Here is some information with FRAPS and what-not.

After recording the video files with Fraps, the next step would be exactly what?

Can I put two video files togheter on Virtual Dub or the program just re-encode a single video file?

If you don't have anything to edit out, there is a AVS script that allows you to put in the video parts one after another and then do the encoding thing.

AviSource("file01.avi")+\
AviSource("file02.avi")+\
AviSource("file03.avi")

Just replace "file01.avi" with the directory to your video file. If you have multiple ones, you have to do it for all the other parts as well. It's not that bad.

If you need to "edit" out, you can use VirtualDub. That is what I use. I then save it using ffdshow codec. There is also an AVS script that can "cut" parts out a la VirtualDub. You have to figure out the frames to "cut" though. =/ VirtualDub helps, even if MeGUI has a video preview (VirtualDub is faster for searching.) The AVS Cutter in MeGUI is located under Tools.

What's the average size for the videos after they're re-encoded with virtual dub? And on the final merge?

Depends on the codec for VirtualDub. As for the merge, it will usually be MUCH less. Size is determined by the settings when using x264 thing. To give you an idea: I did a Heavenly Guardian Longplay. The original recording was 32GB for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Re-encode with VirtualDub (to "edit" out mistakes) and came out to 50GB. After doing all the merging and stuff, it came out to 600-somethingMB (how I got a 1GB file when I uploaded it on my channel, I do not know).
Keplerplaytru
Hey nice guide Ricky, I've just introduced myself

I normally made Let's plays for youtube and I'm really newbie to this complex encoding so I have some questions:

After recording the video files with Fraps, the next step would be exactly what?

Can I put two video files togheter on Virtual Dub or the program just re-encode a single video file? Do you guys only merge all the 3 min parts at the end, with the mkv merger, keep 30 minutes files or what?

What's the average size for the videos after they're re-encoded with virtual dub? And on the final merge? This for a recording like Half-life 2 on a 1680x1050 resolution, using half size of the original size. I reencoded with MPEG2 on videopad with the highest KB/S rate wich was 9000 and got 500 Mega for 10 minutes. I just wanted to know to see how much disk space I will have to save for my longplay records.

And a little offtopic, if I wanted to make 15min flash versions right from Fraps, is there any good free program to do so?

Thanks in advance. :)
koippis
FCEUX 2.1.4a..Well have to change to that I think...Thank for your answer Tsunao..
Tsunao
I use FCEUX for anything NES. Rather than 2.1.2, it is 2.1.4a.

I used it for the Crystalis (making AVI without using the movie function) and Kick Master (made a movie file and then played movie and made AVI file) longplays (and on my personal channel, The Legend of Zelda and I think G.I. Joe.). I pretty much say it IS the best emulator for NES recording.
koippis

Geekmeister wrote:

TypeO4ever wrote:
is there a way to convert .scm files to .flv or .mp4 files?

I am guessing .scm is some kind of emulator "movie"? If so you need to dump an avi video of that, and encode the avi video(s) according to the guide.

Might be snes9x file or
http://www.filesuffix.com/extension/scm.html

For about recording NES.Anyone ever done it with FCEUX v.2.1.2.?It said to be the best for the NES emulation recording.At least according to tas videos site..?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.