Rail Chase 2

Last updated on 13 years ago
KiethSomataw99
So far I recorded Rail Chase 2 on the XPS using fraps. However, I needed dad's administrative rights to use fraps. In fact, I need it to install Virtual Dub and probably to use it to compress and compost the game. I also need to find out what file I need to take a snapshot from the video.
G
You can use Fraps to capture a snapshot of the game. Open up fraps first. Then fire up the game and hit F10 to take a snapshot of the game. Either .jpg or .png will work to create a snapshot.
KiethSomataw99
I got the video and saved the screenshot as a bmp image. I hope the file is tolerable otherwise, I have to rerecord the video and take another screenshot. Also, I need to know how to use Virtual Dub to compose and compress the videos.
Tsunao
What is tolerable? Screenshot or video file? Screenshot is no problem (I use VLC and VirtualDub to grab a screenie). If file is questionable, upload a sample and someone (usually ScHlAuChi or JonL) will take a look at it.

When I use VirtualDub, I use it to trim out frames and see changes.

To trim:

trim(x,y)

X is the first frame. Y is the second frame.

Frame number is located at the bottom of the program? (not the best words. GUI?)

To make multiple trim:

trim(x,y) +\
trim(x,y)

Example from Parasite Eve II script:

trim(300,8990) +\
trim(9840,53069) +\
trim(378419,408200)

If you want to mix and match scenes (see Dracula X Chronicles), use something like this:

variable1=trim(x,y)
variable2=trim(x,y)
variable1 + variable 2

From DXC script:

op=trim(185,12625) # Opening and Prologue
s1r=trim(12626,28480) # Stage 1 (Richter)
s1m=trim(61215,73930) # Stage 1 (Maria)
s8g=trim(395407,400470).FadeOut(150) # Stage 8 (good ending)
op + S1r + s1m...+ s8g

It looks complicated, but it is quite simple.

As for compressing: you don't have to use VirtualDub to compress. Use MeGUI to encode the darn thing.
A 120GB file (I believe Psycho Soldier) was reduced to 246MB. No VirtualDub compressing required. Encoding guide

tl;dr: VirtualDub to see changes and make changes. Use MeGUI to make smaller file.

Tip: adding "#" at the beginning of a script "disables" it.
G
If you are going to use Virtual Dub to compose and compress the video. First, combine the avi files by going to File > Append AVI Segment. If they video needs trimming, move the side scroller at the bottom of the interface to scroll throughout the video and the frame number to find the parts you want deleted and then at the very bottom, use the selection tools first and last to select that part of the video. Then go to edit > delete. Do the same thing until you are done.

If there's any audio desync, you need to fix it before you compose the video into a final file by going to audio > interleave. They are done bye milliseconds so use positive numbers fo the audio comes too early or negative numbers if audio comes too late.

To compress the video, go to Video > Compression. Then choose any and only lossless codecs such as Techsmith Screen Capture Codec (TSCC), Lagarith Lossless, or Huffyuv.

Then when you are done, go to File > Save As and you're done. Virtual Dub will render a new file with the lossless compression.

The last step is to encode the file with the video encoder called Megui. You need to encode it into .mp4/.mkv X264/AAC encoded file before you can submitted to longplays' ftp server.

Follow this link on how to encode since you need signatures subtitles at the beginning of the video:

http://www.longplays.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1479&forum=22
KiethSomataw99
I attempted to encode with AviSynth but when I tried to view with windows media player, there was no screen and it asked for somthing about coding.
G
Maybe you're missing a codec or H264 (video) and AAC (audio). Go download the k-lite codec pack (mega) and install all codecs. This should help.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

If you have any more encoding problems go to the IRC chat room and ask for help.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.