What do you think is the most overrated video game?

Last updated on 11 years ago
T
Which game makes you want to say to yourself, "Why is this game so popular?" Type in a comment putting in what is in your opinion the most overrated video game and why.
Tsunao
Anything too mainstream. ("mainstream" is subjective.)

Off the top of my head: Halo, Call of Duty, Borderlands, super awesome FPS number 57...Final Fantasy? (people gush the HELL out of VII. I'd rather play X-2. Yes, I said it.), Street Fighter, ZOMGAAA games (Naughty Dog comes to mind....?), maybe Persona 4 (I love Persona 4 and all, but...c'mon...), Kid Icarus: Uprising (even I overgush on how awesome this game is, saying it is best 3DS game ever. It is that damn great, but...just too much praise.)

While people are playing super big awesome game here, I will be playing super niche/not-well-known game over there. While people are playing The Last of Us, I was playing Mighty Switch Force! 2.
johtto
Tsunao, X-2!? Are you insane!? :( <3

I would actually prefer to play X.

As far as overrated games goes, Call of Duty being on the top of my own list.
Metal Gear! uhhggg
Frederikct112
Defiantly Call of Duty, Gears Of War and Resistance and Uncharted(fuck the developers who made that shit)
Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me. ~The Overmind, StarCraft
johtto
I actually don't think Uncharted was very overrated, it's a great game (in my opinion) and was also made by Naughty Dog.. Although I was they would have continued on the jak and daxter series :\ But, we get what we get.
Metal Gear! uhhggg
Spazbo4
The only game in the Jak and Daxter series i liked was the first, once the second brought in a gun I stopped playing it.

But as to what I think for overrated games is the borderlands series, the elder scrolls series, the gta series, and anything that pewdiepie plays (which includes shadow of the colossus)
If I can't be the best then I certainly won't be the worst.
Jihao
A game only becomes mainstream when the mindless accept it as law.

COD is a given, uncharted does not count as it was just a regular game until it got a bit too much attention and was overly hyped up, uncharted 3 was probably too overrated, as that game isnt very good compared to the other two.

Every new game that is frequently talked about that ends up being low quality or subpar, (even average) usually ends up being overrated.

I would throw in kingdom hearts just because.
Anything that isnt COD is a game that may be worth playing.
Spikestuff
Ocarina of Time.
I'm sorry (not really), it's not a good game for the n64 when you compare it to Majora's Mask (but no-one does >.>Wink.
The game is more polished in MM than OOT and people still praise this game.

COD (whatever the most popular one is in that franchise) is actually underrated compared to OOT.

I blame Cosmo the speed-runner (and a few other OOT speed-runners & Tassers).
Jihao

Spikestuff wrote:

Ocarina of Time.
I'm sorry (not really), it's not a good game for the n64 when you compare it to Majora's Mask (but no-one does >.>).
The game is more polished in MM than OOT and people still praise this game.

COD (whatever the most popular one is in that franchise) is actually underrated compared to OOT.

I blame Cosmo the speed-runner (and a few other OOT speed-runners & Tassers).

OOT isnt really that overatted, it can be understood why a lot of people fangasm over that game, it may be slightly overrated, but there are more "Hype" games out there imo.

If anything OOT can be classified as a classic, and even though MM is more polished, OOT is, well a pretty unforgettable experience i guess, plus a lot of people have played the game.
johtto
Spazbo4, how dare you say anything but good things about the Jak and Daxter series! D:

I do agree though, the first was, and always will be, the best.

I have played the entire series and each game is good in it's own way, although naughty dog could never find another piece of that magic that was apart of Precursors Legacy. Jak-X: Combat Racing being my 2nd favorite in the series, was actually quite fun to play.
Metal Gear! uhhggg
Spazbo4
my favorite series that naughty dog did will always be crash bandicoot, i havent tried jak 3 yet even though i own it, i bought all 3 for my ps3 and i beat the first very quickly cause i loved it so much, i didnt love it enough to get all 100 orbs but it was fun nonetheless. 2 started out ok, didnt like the driving with the hover vehicles though, and once i got to the shotgun i just stopped playing cause im tired of third person shooters of any kind
If I can't be the best then I certainly won't be the worst.
johtto
But, if you collect all the cool stuff you unlock the SEACRIT ending! Which is just you opening the precursor door that reveals an INCREDIBLY BRIGHT LIGHT SOURCE! Which is what I tried to show off in my longplay of it :3

The first game was very friendly, open and was very creative for naughty dog to do. The rest of the games in the series created a very dark, dreary, and very cramped atmosphere through-out each game. :(
Metal Gear! uhhggg
Jihao

johtto wrote:

But, if you collect all the cool stuff you unlock the SEACRIT ending! Which is just you opening the precursor door that reveals an INCREDIBLY BRIGHT LIGHT SOURCE! Which is what I tried to show off in my longplay of it :3

The first game was very friendly, open and was very creative for naughty dog to do. The rest of the games in the series created a very dark, dreary, and very cramped atmosphere through-out each game. :(

It was trying to show maturity in the jak series, just because hes a light kid with an open heart in Jak 1, doesnt mean he isnt going to grow a goatee, get an angry young teenage male with revenge in his heart voice, and dark eco powers included with a bunch of cool guns in the next.

If you guys dont really agree with the guns so much, you do know that you can play the game without using the guns too much right?
Personally they are all equal to me and i appreciate the series for what it is. I honestly do not think the gameplay deteriorated at all with the addition of the guns, in fact, i can easily say that Jak 2 is much harder then jak 1 because of the scale in difficulty.

Plus, if you lived in Haven City, do you honestly think you'd have an easy time?
D
Why every one say that CoD are not good games? The only CoD game i didn't like whas WaW, But still it are good games!!

Lett me guess, you are all BF fans? Well, that is a real overrated game!!
Be a real gamer: DON'T cheat!!
johtto
I am neither a Call of Duty fan, nor Battlefield. Games that are meant to pretty much have everyone in the world playing at once are a bore to me.

If I am going to be playing a game, why not play an actual good game? Yes, the campaign modes in the call of duties are very different. But I don't like the fact that everything in videos games lately has to be "As real as possible."

EDIT: Jihao, well said. The guns being added to the game could have been better however (Don't even get me started on the shooting range). The series after 1 and before combat racing just lacked, in my opinion.

Yes, it is true that in the later games, the difficulty is greater, but the addition of weapons is a bit excessive. I mean, look at Jak. He is a weapon by himself! The later games are still playable and they still somewhat of a replay capability, I just prefer Jak 1 :3
Metal Gear! uhhggg
Jihao

johtto wrote:

I am neither a Call of Duty fan, nor Battlefield. Games that are meant to pretty much have everyone in the world playing at once are a bore to me.

If I am going to be playing a game, why not play an actual good game? Yes, the campaign modes in the call of duties are very different. But I don't like the fact that everything in videos games lately has to be "As real as possible."

EDIT: Jihao, well said. The guns being added to the game could have been better however (Don't even get me started on the shooting range). The series after 1 and before combat racing just lacked, in my opinion.

Yes, it is true that in the later games, the difficulty is greater, but the addition of weapons is a bit excessive. I mean, look at Jak. He is a weapon by himself! The later games are still playable and they still somewhat of a replay capability, I just prefer Jak 1 :3

I understand Johtto, but the thing about Jak 2 and 3 that struck me as odd was the removal of the Eco Powers, aside from Dark/Light Jak, Remember how in Jak 1 you could use the powers in different ways? Red for power, Yellow for accuracy, Blue for Speed, Green for health and restoration, Then Dark for... well you know, i think it was a mix of Eco, and then light Eco was supposed to be Eco in its puriest form/ All the other Eco's combined or something, and Jak becomes filled with it due to the precursors or whatever, then Jak starts acting like his Jak 1 self *Even his hair reminds me of Jak 1*

Take a look at the guns in the other jak games, The Scatter gun (Red) Rifle/"Pea Shooter" (Yellow) Machinegun Dark/Purple? (Peace Maker/Mininuke) *Just did a search and the Peace Maker does in fact fire Dark Eco*

So if you look at it in a different way, the Eco is still there, its just that, well its the Future/Past, and the people of Haven city most likely figured out a way to weaponize the Eco surrounding them. Personally, i mainly used the "Pea Shooter" for accuracy. EDIT: Plus the "Wastelander Combo" (Circle and R1/Fire) Was really cool to me, and i just felt it was a signature for me to combine attacks with the guns.

Also @ Everyone else, COD is not a game, it is a product, it is to be sold, not to be played. If you want to play a shooting game, there are plenty of games that can do that for you, but COD is not one of them. COD can't be played for fun, im pretty sure the majority of people that play it, whether they like it or not, only play it out of sheer boredom, because everyone else is, or because a friend has asked them to.

I've played COD, and its never been that hype to me, Id rather play quake or something, COD is definitely not realistic, far from it, its a game that encourages killing (And nothing else), and i dont support that, a game made for the masses, also, take it in mind that there are a lot of people who happen to play COD, consider themselves gamers, and dont play ANYTHING ELSE.

Im sure you can see why i gripe with it, it is the most lackluster one sided single minded game so far created, yet it is popular beyond all reasoning, Uncharted 2 was more fun. (Single player and multiplayer.

@ Everyone, video games are about innovation, i don't know whats so special about picking up a gun and doing the same thing you did yesterday, but with a different clip. If it were me, I'd pick up a game about picking up guns and taking different approaches.

COD in a nutshell=Point and shoot.

Lol he assumes that if we dont play COD we play another shooting game in general? Lmao. No, im pretty sure we play other games, games that probably dont involve guns- (@johtto. ) I've never even played BF, because i dont spend my time playing FPS's maybe third person shooters, but i just dont like mindless shooters, hell even GTA is mindless, but at least its open about it, and by open i mean sandbox, and by sandbox i mean you can do whatever you want in the game pretty much (As far as it allows) San Andreas for example, Renowned and for good reason. Hopefully GTA5 can do the same.
johtto
But the point of the weapons in Jak 2 & 3 is un-necessary. Look at Jak from the first game. He can shoot yellow eco FROM HIS HANDS, which in that game does a pretty good job of defeating enemies. If the people of haven city were so advanced, why make large, heavy equipment to carry around when they could just ask Jak how he does it?

Instead, they just decide to pump him with dark eco ;_;

To +1 what Jihao stated. No, i don't support the use of weapons/killing in a game that was designed to have the majority of "gamers" playing it. All of my longplays so far with the exception of CoD 4 as well as Ratchet and Clank do not have guns as the main weapon.

Another thing, if the enemy in a video game has a weapon and you don't, that just makes the game that much more challenging and actually tries to make the player somewhat decent at identifying the problem, creating a solution, then implementing it. if you have a weapon, you can just aim and shoot, it's mindless.
Metal Gear! uhhggg
Jihao

johtto wrote:

But the point of the weapons in Jak 2 & 3 is un-necessary. Look at Jak from the first game. He can shoot yellow eco FROM HIS HANDS, which in that game does a pretty good job of defeating enemies. If the people of haven city were so advanced, why make large, heavy equipment to carry around when they could just ask Jak how he does it?

Instead, they just decide to pump him with dark eco ;_;

To +1 what Jihao stated. No, i don't support the use of weapons/killing in a game that was designed to have the majority of "gamers" playing it. All of my longplays so far with the exception of CoD 4 as well as Ratchet and Clank do not have guns as the main weapon.

Another thing, if the enemy in a video game has a weapon and you don't, that just makes the game that much more challenging and actually tries to make the player somewhat decent at identifying the problem, creating a solution, then implementing it. if you have a weapon, you can just aim and shoot, it's mindless.

The "Fireball" was pretty cool, but i dont remember if it had autolock or not, since the trajectory was iffy sometimes, and yellow eco only lasts but for so long, I'm not sure if Jak was the only one who could channel Eco or not, but eh... Jak can do it without being "negatively affected" (Even though dark eco seriously augments his personality and mentality, and physical power)

Lol dont be so mad about the dark eco part, for me it was really cool, come on dont tell me you dislike dark bomb, that move is insane!

Large and heavy? Iirc, the "morph gun" could change into different guns with the use of "mods" so basically its like a "Packet" of "Eco ammo?" stored inside the guns so that they could be used less wastefully? The way jak uses it, it looks pretty light, although other guns look big and heavy. Of course eco in its pure form is probably much stronger, although it would be a lot harder to use, aim and control for constant battle.

Try to imagine Jak 1 Jak facing off against the metal heads (An army of 500-1000 worse case scenario) (Remember that balloon mission near the end of Jak 2 when the metal heads invade? Yeah i'd want an eco gun over eco for that situation), or even worse, the Dark makers (Iirc Jak 3 was pretty freaking hard, if you didnt abuse the stronger weapons *Tier 3*) Jak's Eco time limit would run out, and the Eco powerup would dissipate, Jak would be exposed, he would have no weapons, just his feet and hands, he barely fought off the lurkers in J1, Eco isnt going to be laying everywhere, im pretty sure everyone's going to be fighting over it. I think the dark eco thing was a lil too plot relevant, nice add though.

Johtto is right, why play a game you cant enjoy if there are others that actually do what a game encourages? "Strategizing, struggling, solving".
He made mention of R&C, even though technically the main weapons are guns/weaponry LMAO, but they are very original and imaginative and serve purposes, its not just a simple point and shoot, theres more to it then that, theres an entire arsenal of weapons that you use to your liking.

Speaking of aiming and shooting, some of these COD players need to go pick up Contra, lets see how hardcore they are then.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.