Gamechive - New Video Game Longplay Channel

Last updated on 11 years ago
NPI

Gamechive wrote:[/b] Do we really need another organization, person, etc. to be making recorded video game playthroughs?

If you like recording video games, do so.

[b]Gamechive wrote:Are the options that are currently available to the world sufficient for game posterity? Would I just be wasting my time?

WoL have 3400 longplays, plus 1000+ more Amiga longplays, totals around 4,500. It has become a self sufficient organism that the world thrive upon it, and only asking for more, more, more!!!
Jihao
Its not easy making videos like this, it takes time and effort, if you want to receive monetary compensation then that's cool, but that should not be your primary objective.

Still, I'm sure that you should be able to find a compromise if you talk to whoever the heck needs to be talked to. Perhaps they will message you if you seek them out.

Everyone else on here does LP's for whatever reason they do them, but remember this, never forgot your audience.
Anything that isnt COD is a game that may be worth playing.
Stenio_Henrique
We are like a virtual library. You come and choose what you want to watch. If someone hates ADS just download the video at archive.org

I spend a lot of time and effort making videos for WoL but I'm already very rewarded. Then it's just that. If anyone here make money is to keep the World Of Longplays alive (ative).

GameChive I watched your videos and the quality is very good. There are many games that have not yet been made. I would be happy if you would join WoL and make some of these.

http://www.longplays.org/forum/viewth...ad_id=3339

If you do not want. Good luck in your work and channel.
Amy Rose
I not sure about this "New Video Game Longplay Channel", so I don't have time to waste everything while to talk to IRC chat what Connor and Stenio_Henrique says.
Amy Rose
Connor

Gamechive wrote:

No, I was not aware of this. Hmm. Who would I contact about this? How can a LP'er be compensated for their longplays (ad-revenue) without receiving permission from the publishers of those games? Sounds like a lot of LP'ers could be in legal trouble if they don't have the permissive rights. (Are longplays really fair use?) Even if cubex55 posts other LP'ers videos to his YouTube channel, there still has to be documentation provided that the copyright holders have given permission?both the game publishers AND the LP'er. If cubex55 is partnered with another YouTube channel that already has obtained those rights (ex. Machinima, etc.), then the game publishers aren't an issue, and if the LP'ers give consent, then it's all good. That's my understanding, anyway.

There are no written documentation on ownership, no, so technically each creator has full rights to each video he or she creates. But since you upload the video the site, implicit permission is given to let WoL distribute your content (why else would you upload it), and whether that is download-links on Archive.org or streaming on YouTube doesn't really matter. Also, I'm pretty sure if someone came out and asked that their videos would be removed from YT (or the site itself), we would just remove them.

As for the permission from owners of the original content, I don't see how this can be a problem for the individual Longplayer. We have to assume that WoL has permissions to redistribute our videos in the ways it does. I have no idea what the discussion has been with our partner, and frankly don't really care. It's not my job to make sure we are legally clear, it's my job to create videos of gameplay for others to enjoy. :)

Anyway, as Stenio said before, there's not really much point in discussing the finer details of the copyright situation here, since Schlabadachi is the one who has the real and correct information on our situation. Easiest found in IRC via the "Chat" menu.
Connor

Stenio_Henrique wrote:

Sorry to intrude.

I do not see a means of a longplayer earn money here in WoL.
I get comments, likes, and has credits in description and the beginning of the video. That is enough for me. Yes it is a hobby.

Well, like I said, I'm not really in charge of anything (except the FTP-server, coincidentally), so I don't know the details. But I was under the VERY strong impression that ad-revenue was divided up among LPers that have contributed "enough".

Stenio_Henrique wrote:
I believe that all the money they earn goes to MAINTENANCE, web hosting, among other things (FTP Server, I think need to spend money to have one)

Well, that is part of it, sure. I do get compensated for letting you guys use my FTP, and considering the account is currently using a bit over 600GB of data, I think that is fair. :) But I certainly hope that this is not the only place money goes to.

Stenio_Henrique wrote:
If you need to clarify doubts go to IRC and talk with Schlauchi. he control the site and channel :)

Indeed, do that. Better to get information from the source than us plebs. :)

I also agree very much with the hobby-part. Lots of us submitted videos back before money was an issue, just for the fun of it, and I think anyone who does this only for the money will be burned out pretty quickly. Or the quality of the videos will suffer since they are churned out as quickly as possible for maximum money.
Stenio_Henrique
Sorry to intrude.

I do not see a means of a longplayer earn money here in WoL.
I get comments, likes, and has credits in description and the beginning of the video. That is enough for me. Yes it is a hobby.

I believe that all the money they earn goes to MAINTENANCE, web hosting, among other things (FTP Server, I think need to spend money to have one)

If you need to clarify doubts go to IRC and talk with Schlauchi. he control the site and channel :)
Connor
Fair enough, but you do know that we share the ad-revenue among those who submit longplays, don't you? I have no idea whether you'd get more or less money with us or on your own, I don't pay much attention to our system of distribution since I don't do this for money, but the option is there. I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge of the details or our deal could at least give you a ballpark figure.

Also, I would REALLY caution against doing this only for money. While the compensation is nice, it makes it far too close to a job for my liking. At least for me, it would eventually turn into a chore that I would only do to get paid, and at that time, all the fun of playing video games would be gone. But maybe that's just me.
Connor
Well, whether longplays are fair use or not is a completely different issue from taking someone elses LPs and uploading them on your own channel. The copyright on LPs are, as you say, a murky legal area, but redistributing a video someone else recorded is as far from murky as you can get. Whether game studios have the right to all footage of their games is VERY unlikely, although it will probably never end up in court, so might will make right in this case. And YT isn't exactly known for standing on the side of the little guy against big corporations that allege copyright infringement.

However, I wasn't really talking about YT in itself, just trying to clear up why we release our videos "free". We simply don't have to be worried about someone "taking" them, since that is a clear violation of copyright. Whether it is violating the copyright of one (the LPer) or two (the LPer + the studio) entity is another matter, but not really relevant for that person. Well, except s/he is more likely to be sued by a game studio than us, of course...

Anyway, cubex55 is our YouTube account, so "he" is rather safe in posting those videos, since the whole point of uploading videos here is that the creator allows the site to redistribute them. If the creator doesn't want to be part of the monetization, they can say so and their videos will be ad-free.

Now, I'm not in charge of this site by any stretch of the imagination, so I can't really speak for it, but I don't really see what we would gain by uploading our videos to your channel. We already have a very good platform for distributing our content and lots of subscribers, which is really all we need. I don't mean to put down your effort, I think the more people play and record games the better and applaud your initiative, but in all honesty, it would be far more logical if you sent us your longplays than the other way around.
Jihao

Connor wrote:

Free for download does not mean free to distribute. The creator ALWAYS has copyright on created content, unless specifically waived.

Someone taking our videos and posting them on their channel is committing copyright infringement and will get copyright strikes and be forced to remove them.

If you are going to attempt to make money by creating content to put on the internet, you probably should read up a little on copyright laws...

Basically, they shouldnt be able to say "This is my Longplay"

Credit or permission to use the LP should be up to the LP'er.
Anything that isnt COD is a game that may be worth playing.
Connor
Free for download does not mean free to distribute. The creator ALWAYS has copyright on created content, unless specifically waived.

Someone taking our videos and posting them on their channel is committing copyright infringement and will get copyright strikes and be forced to remove them.

If you are going to attempt to make money by creating content to put on the internet, you probably should read up a little on copyright laws...
Gamechive
Greetings everyone,

I just recently started a gaming channel on YouTube called "Gamechive". The channel's goal is an archived collection of my past, present, and future video game playthroughs. These are complete playthroughs where I do everything the game has to offer (collectibles, find hidden stuff, wear different costumes, play different difficulty levels, earn trophies/achievements, etc.). I call these "gamechives." My goal in setting up this channel is for game posterity, or preservation through playthrough. There is NO commentary or voice-overs whatsoever on these videos.

So, what do you think? You can respond here, or drop by my YouTube channel and check out the videos I've made so far.

http://www.youtube.com/gamechive

Thanks,

~ G
NPI
wat
M
As NPI said, we have tons of games recorded, but there are still many left out there :)
Gamechive, i checked your channel and your videos have good quality, and if you like completing games 100% that's very good, because that's exactly what longplays mean. So, if you want, you can submit some longplays to us, and also upload them to your channel.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.