Recommended Emulators for Recording Longplays

Last updated on 7 years ago
MadMatty
The question comes up asking "Which Emulator should I use' when wanting to record a particular game. So I will attempt to list the emulators we use and any specific settings that may be required for best quality. You can use any emulator you are familiar with but it must support support 1:1 pixel mapping and avi dumping forperfect recordings when combined with a lossless codes such as Lagarith or Techsmith. No filters allowed including bilinier, scanlines or any exotic pixelshaders.

As an example, Kega fusion is a good Genesis emulator, but it doesn't support avi recording in 1:1 pixel mode which results in a stretched image (or aspect corrected) even for games that don't require it, so this emu isn't good for what we want. Even if you select the raw image filter, it doesn't record it.

[big]Amiga[/big]

WinUAE: (To update with some recommended settings)

[big]Arcade[/big]

Finalburn Alpha Shuffle: Re-Recording and savestates are features but its not the most stable emulator in the world. It does provide however 1:1 pixel recordings and is recommended if you can get it working right.

Mame can also be used with its inbuilt avi recorder which will output an uncompressed avi file. Also make sure bilinier filtering and any other filters are disabled.

[big]Master-System / Game-Gear[/big]

Bizhawk: This emu offers re-recording to make longplays easier by utilising multiple savestates and recording your inputs for rendering to avi later.

Only setting to consider is the FM Audio addon for Master-System which is enabled by default if the game supports it. Choose which you think provides the best audio. You cant record once and render both audio versions.

[big]Sega Mega-Drive / Genesis / Sega-CD / 32X[/big]

Bizhawk: For Sega Mega-Drive / Genesis, Bizhawk offers the best emulation (via GenPlus GX core) and movie recording. Far superior audio quality to Gens-RR that we have been using in the past. It can also record Sega-CD games, but that aspect of the emu isn't completely stable yet and may cause desync to occur in the recorded movie. Its still the best emu to use if your willing to address the desync issues when recording. Note: The new 64bit version seems to have fixed this issue.

In the genesis options menu make sure PAD320 is enabled. This will add borders to the low res modes instead of stretching.

Gens-RR: Please use bizhawk for Genesis recordings. However it is best to use Gens-RR for Sega-CD at this time and also 32X. This emu offers re-recording to make longplays easier by utilising multiple savestates and recording your inputs for rendering to avi later. Most important setting to make sure is disabled is the 'Proper aspect in low res modes' found in the graphics menu. This will force the avi output to be an exact 1:1 recording of the games output. Sometimes the aspect looks wrong and depends on the tv to stretch it out, but it is not always the case and completely normal.

In the Tools/AVI settings you should make sure 'Clean AVI' and 'Fit AVI to game height' are enabled. This will crop the borders and record without any emulation messages displayed.

For 32x recording, Make sure to enable 'PWM' Sound (In the sound menu). The setting doesn't save and you need to enable each time you start the emu in 32x mode.

[big]NES / SNES / Game-boy / Gameboy Color / Nintendo 64[/big]

Bizhawk: This emu offers re-recording to make longplays easier by utilising multiple savestates and recording your inputs for rendering to avi later.

Only setting to consider for Gameboy is the palette. It is advised to just use the Black and White option, although I like to use the Yellow-Green for the resemblance of the original hardware. No rainbow colour combinations allowed.

For NES, check NES -> Graphic settings and ensure auto cropping is disabled. You can decide when editing/encoding if the overscan area should be kept or not.

For the N64 emulation, the important settings are in the N64 menu. You should set 320x240, and enable the Glide Mk2 plugin. There may be some game specific settings required for the plugin, but its up to you to know if the emulation is displaying game as expected and change the options as necessary.

[big]Gameboy Advance[/big]

Visualboy Advance: This emu offers re-recording to make longplays easier by utilising multiple savestates and recording your inputs for rendering to avi later.

Bizhawk: This now uses the Visualboy Advance core and is a good alternative to VBA if you are more comfortable with using Bizhawk to record.

[big]Nintendo DS[/big]

Desmume: This emu support movie and avi recording for the Nintendo DS. Its very stable and fairly easy to set up. Just note that you may need to splt the screens before your final encoding (the emu wont do this during avi recording) I recommend using the techsmith codec as it appears Lagarith isn't supported. You can use the below avs file to add the Split if the game required it. You may also need to adjust the gap size 16,32,64 to fit the game, use best judgement.

####configuration####
gap = 32
color = $000000
##################
A = AviSource("i:\Space Invaders Extreme2.avi", pixel_type="RGB24")
B = AviSource("i:\Space Invaders Extreme2.avi", pixel_type="RGB24")
C = blankclip(fps=A.FrameRate, width=256, height=192+gap+192, color=color, length=A.FrameCount)
A = A.crop(0,0,256,192)
B = B.crop(0,192,256,192)
D = overlay(C,A)
D = overlay(D,B,0,192+gap)

return AudioDub(D,A)

[big]PC-Engine, Turbographx, CD[/big]

PCEJin Another pc-engine emulator with re-recording capabilities.

[big]PC[/big]

This will likely require tools such as Fraps or DxTory to capture your game.

For old Dosgames, use Dosbox. Dosbox-X is recommended as it offers savestates and avi output as well as support for various soundcards and even the MT-32 synth.

[big]Sega Saturn[/big]

Bizhawk: This emu offers re-recording to make longplays easier by utilising multiple savestates and recording your inputs for rendering to avi later. Milage will vary greatly as to if the game is supported. It uses the Yabouse core and contains the same limits of that emu.

Yabouse-RR is another emulator providing Re-Recording. While bizhawk is preferable, Yabouse does support the 4mb expansion pack.

[big]Playstation[/big]

Bizhawk: This emu offers re-recording to make longplays easier by utilising multiple savestates and recording your inputs for rendering to avi later. You need the Playstation firmware but this is a fast and fairly accurate playstation emulator. No fancy filtering or upscaling. Just good old original playstation graphics in all its pixalated 3d glory.

[big]PlayStation 2[/big]

PCSX2: No re-recording to help out in this emulation but its is about as accurate as you will get unless hardware capturing from a ps2/ps3. It is important to make sure you use the correct settings to accurately display the ps2 graphics without any fancy filtering or upscaling. When setting up the emulator select GSDX video plugin and set it to Software DirectX9 or DirectX11. Make Sure Deinterlace is set to off. Configure the gfx window to 4:3 but you may need to change the actual resolution to 640x480 or 640x512 for a PAL game. It doesn't really matter though.

To record the game, press F12. It will ask for a codec. here you can select Lagarith and set RGB mode for recording as well as a filename. The resolution is important as the emu does not seem to have a 1:1 gfx option. While playing the game it will say what mode the game is using. You should set the vertical resolution to what the majority of the game is using (either 480 or 512) and set horizontal to 640. The emu forces aspect correction so we will force to the normal 4:3 sd res.

Afterwards, we can combine the audio and video with VirtualDub and deinterlace the video if needed. A simple Blend deinterlace usually works best with game footage to avoid combing, but will result in a softer image. and will maintain full framerate.

[big]Playstation 3-4 / Xbox / Xbox 360[/big]

For systems where no decent emulator exists, then it falls to using an external capture device. It falls on you to work out the best setting for providing the highest quality output.
NPI
DeSmuME

Awesome DS emulator, re-recording works perfectly, avi output is great http://desmume.org/
Spikestuff
from the pcsx-rr avihelp for psxjin:

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/jhchan8/pcsx/gpu.png

Ignore .kkapture that's for kkapture

I myself do the game's original size before scaling it.
I use psxfin to find game's original size.
Working On
"Some things are beyond your control. You shouldn't blame yourself." ~Cynder
boricuaretrogamer
i use Bandicam to make longplays. Fraps, unfortunately, it's too slow for old PCs like mine. That's why I decide to use Bandicam, I don't know it is recommended but it's better than Fraps.
Frederikct112
Bandi-....BANDICAM?! Just kidding :P. You should beware that Bandicam can easily screw up your recordings if you are not using the correct rendering setting. Me, personally, i use Dxtory since you can play in 1920x1080 but still record 1280x720 and i think its better than Fraps.
Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me. ~The Overmind, StarCraft
MadMatty
Bandicam sucks because it compressed the video before it gets to the lossless codec.
Ironclaw

[url=longplays.orgforum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3480&pid=10497#post_10497]Frederikct112 wrote:[/url]

Bandi-....BANDICAM?! Just kidding :P. You should beware that Bandicam can easily screw up your recordings if you are not using the correct rendering setting. Me, personally, i use Dxtory since you can play in 1920x1080 but still record 1280x720 and i think its better than Fraps.

Ok, as long as it's not for longplays for cubex and this site.

http://www.longplays.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3313&highlight=ironclaw&pid=10426#post_10405
[color=#ffffff]..[/color][ My YouTube Channel | My Website ]
www.iamironclaw.com/ups/files/pictures/Signature.png
Spazbo4
Is there any good sega dreamcast emulators I can use?
If I can't be the best then I certainly won't be the worst.
Spikestuff

[url=longplays.orgforum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3480&pid=10572#post_10572]Spazbo4 wrote:[/url]

Is there any good sega dreamcast emulators I can use?

Chankast maybe?
Working On
boricuaretrogamer
how to encode NES video games?
boricuaretrogamer
What about the FCEUX emulator? It works perfectly in my old PC. And I now understand the term "rerecording".
boricuaretrogamer
Hi guys I just wondering: How can you record a Wonder Swan game? Is there any Wonder Swan emulator with rerecording option? I am very curious about it.
Puerto Rico...GAME ON, Level Up & Happy Gaming!!!Smile
Spikestuff
Okai. I'm just knocking out 2 birds with one stone for boricua.
1. FCEUX is still obviously allowed, it's not like it's banned. THIS SAYS "Recommended Emulators" not "Emulators you HAVE to use."
2. Wonderhawk aka Wonderswan on Bizhawk.
Working On
boricuaretrogamer
what emulator can I use for play PSP games?
Spikestuff
A PSP Emulator is not yet acceptable for longplays.
A
Is Dolphin acceptable for a longplay? I'd like to record a Wii game for the site and want to know this before I do. I'd rather emulate it, but I can still play it on console if that is preferred.
G
For old windows games like windows 95/98, I would personally install the windows 95/98 OS in DosBox since it also acts like a virtuallization like VMWare so that you can use the AVI Output from dosbox without having to use Fraps or any other external recording software.

Recommended instructions for doing this is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hvgFvAYjPG93h-Avun3sprvZX2GfkRhl4YJBT15FTx0/edit?pli=1
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=26240
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=27952
boricuaretrogamer
Hi Anon7906 if u want to know what emulators are recommended for this site, check in the support section and then go to the Recommended Emulators for Recording Longplays or ask Schlauchi about the Dolphin emulator.
Brian04510

NPI wrote:

DeSmuME

Awesome DS emulator, re-recording works perfectly, avi output is great http://desmume.org/

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the option to pause emulation automatically when movie recording is done, so it stops dumping AVI files when you're finished.
As if it wasn't bad enough already...
MadMatty

Brian0451 wrote:

NPI wrote:

DeSmuME

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the option to pause emulation automatically when movie recording is done, so it stops dumping AVI files when you're finished.

PRO Tip for you Brian0451, and this one is for free. Don't stop recording until you have captured everything you want to be in the final video.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.