MeGUI and file size

Last updated on 9 years ago
G
I just ran a test last night and used the MeGUI settings as suggested in the sticky.

I played Dragon Age 2 for 90 minutes captured with fraps in 1080p. The file (single file) came out at 168Gb and I ran it through vegas pro with Lagarith.
The file came out (single file) at 168Gb
I did the synth script as per the sticky and the let it run. After about 10 hours, it was at 65%.
I ran the x264 quality at 28 in an attempt to lower the quality and improve the speed.

I'm running a quad core at 2.83Ghz, with 8 Gb of RAM.

So, I'm wondering if:

Doing the vid at 720p will make a huge difference to encoding times?
Would splitting the files for MeGUI have any effect on times, as opposed to handing it a 168 gig file?

I don't usually encode this way as I tend to the GPU accelerated software, such as Vegas, however, I'd like to follow the rules here so I can submit an upload.
Spazbo4
it needs to be lower than 28 to be accepted
also encoding at 1080 is always going to take forever, especially for pc recordings. i have done a few xbox one longplays at 1080p and it took so long to encode
If I can't be the best then I certainly won't be the worst.
G
Thanks for the response.

I'll do the vid in 720p but will stick with vegas for any 1080p stuff I do. Does the file size matter to MeGUI processing times. Should I break them down into 10 gig files or just use the 90 gig file for example?
Spazbo4
file size means nothing before megui, just make sure you have enough space for large files though when you put them through sony vegas
G
I can get the quality pretty good but the file sizes are huge. I've compaired them to some of the uploads here and mine are far too big.

I'm not sure how to get the sizes lower for upload here, so I tend to just upload to youtube and let that rip them down a bit. I was wondering if video capture hardware has anything to do with it? I am currently using fraps.
Spazbo4
i.imgur.com/rHtpUhU.png
that is the settings I use, if you are comparing your file sizes to console longplays fraps would have a higher bitrate than doing any kind of console recording so fraps would have higher quality resulting in higher files, it also depends on what resolution you record in because for pc games we do 720p, usually
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.