Concerning video resolutions...

Last updated on 9 years ago
G
Whassup!

I have been having a headache over the smushy edges of textures in some of the videos. Especially the subtitles. Sam & Max Hit the Road (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqPDT...qPDTJpEUzg) comes to mind from what I've whatched recently. Is this due to some kind of interpolation issue that arises from making 480p Youtube videos out of a 320x240 (or was it 640x480..?) MS-DOS game? I see some videos showing DOS games that use the 480p resolution and look just fine, though. Compare the World of Longplays video to this, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSRo...8E81317908. That one looks great even at 480p, a lot more crisp and accurate. So whata going on here?
Pronto!
MadMatty
Aspect correction and bad scaling is responsible for the fuzzy text on the first one. The games native resolution is 320x200 (16:10), aspect corrected to 320x240 (4:3 which was not needed) then doubled to 640x480 to keep the image sharp (else the video would be the size of a postage stamp on todays high res screens.

It goes back to the days when all pc games were in 320x200 and pc gamers did not like a big black border at the bottom of the screen and would instead use the monitor controls to stretch the image to fill the screen. Some games might be designed with the stretch in mind, but most were not. Sometimes it come down to if the developer assumed square/non square pixels or not. (tv or vga pixels)

But it was recorded in 2009 before any recording rules were set. No bilinear scaling should ever be used and aspect correction should be game dependant, although in the case of old games, they should be recorded in native aspect, and the video player aspect can be set in the mp4/mkv file so the original pixel ration is preserved in the file, but the player knows to stretch (which we can override if wanted).
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.