Shoutbox Complaint

Last updated on 4 years ago
DiggerandIndy
I just noticed the Shoutbox, and to be honest I don't appreciate people airing out their grievances when a PM will do.

First of all, I believe that every game from every region should be recorded unless it's that obvious there's no difference (i.e. Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Land, Tetris), and the text is a big difference, therefore that's grounds enough to submit the game even if the English counterpart was already submitted. Any translator can tell you that the Japanese language is much different than the English language with words, context, grammatical rules, and even how you say it, and you'd better get it right unless you want to sound like a potty-mouthed delinquent. On Super Mario Bros. 3 SNES Toad might yak for you to pick a box and its contents will help you on your way, but the Japanese version's Toad might word it different, and the differences in dialogue may be interesting for the more observant, as Tomato's Legends of Localization can point out. Furthermore, WoL has allowed at least 5 of my longplays (Hoshi no Kirby, Super Mario USA, Hoshi no Kirby: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari, Famicom Mini: Dr. Mario, and Famicom Mini: Pac-Man) that have no differences other than text to be submitted, to say nothing of my recording games that were released internationally and now someone's complaining about it? KAGE-008 was going to record Super Mario: Yoshi Island that has no difference other than text, did he get a complaint from the moderators about it? Even if the rest of the game is in English like its international counterpart, if it has even one subtle difference like text, that should be counted as a separate game and should be included, even if the moderators object to it.

Second, KAGE-008 has mentioned that Ganbare Goemon! Karakuri Douchuu has 8 loops when I did one. There was a reason for that, as common sense prevented me from going any further since it's the same thing again eight times, only harder, and I explained that on my description, so yes I DID know. I do try to complete everything as efficiently and fully as possible, but there are some games that will take too long to 100% complete, and if you expect me to do that on every single one of my games I would suggest that the moderators review the games that are already submitted because there are games that are incomplete, and let me point out two:

1. Wario's Woods for the SNES. The VS. CPU has been completed, but not the main story.

2. Super Mario Sunshine for the GameCube. All 120 Shine Sprites were not collected, not to mention that it took Spazbo4 a few hours to complete the game. It takes much longer to collect all 120 Sprites. I know. I did it a long time ago using a Versus Books Strategy Guide.

If someone is to complain that Ganbare Goemon is incomplete, why have not the same people mention that these two games are incomplete, let alone go on YouTube? Also, in my Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World, the Super Mario Bros. game technically needs to be played twice. Why didn't someone say something about it?

Lastly, I'm recording and submitting video games on my own volition and own time, and I CAN take my business somewhere else. Nobody's forcing me to do this, especially when I got better things to do, but I'm putting my love for video games to good use. Even the latest and greatest video game systems won't last forever, and someone's GOT to preserve them. I take whatever I can find, no matter what region if possible, and I explain what the game's about, what I did, and what to look out for.

I believe the moderators need to make better, more refined rules about what can and can't be submitted, including variants and international releases as some can take advantage of even the most miniscule of technicalities, but complaining it on the shoutbox and treating people like children in the process is beyond ridiculous. The moderators are called "moderators" for a reason, and since they've worked on WoL longer or harder, they should know better.
ScHlAuChi
The current rules do not allow that - this might change in the future - but for now it cannot be accepted - sorry :|

The reason why those rules exist is exactly to prevent this kind of stuff.
Everyone would just do all the popular games over and over, with 10 different versions of all the Mario games.
But the idea of World of Longplays is to cover every game at least once!
So instead of doing yet again the same game everyone has seen already, why not do one no one has seen?

You are correct that people should not do that via shoutbox tho - that is bad form!
DiggerandIndy

ScHlAuChi wrote:

The current rules do not allow that - this might change in the future - but for now it cannot be accepted - sorry :|

The reason why those rules exist is exactly to prevent this kind of stuff.
Everyone would just do all the popular games over and over, with 10 different versions of all the Mario games.
But the idea of World of Longplays is to cover every game at least once!
So instead of doing yet again the same game everyone has seen already, why not do one no one has seen?

You are correct that people should not do that via shoutbox tho - that is bad form!

Alright, I understand. But thank you for the shoutbox comment. My point is that if anybody wishes to make comments, please back them up or you can and WILL get called out.

By the way, and just to make sure that I won't step on other peoples' toes, am I allowed to record Game Boy Gallery 3, the Japanese version of Game & Watch Gallery 3?
ScHlAuChi

Alright, I understand. But thank you for the shoutbox comment. My point is that if anybody wishes to make comments, please back them up or you can and WILL get called out.
By the way, and just to make sure that I won't step on other peoples' toes, am I allowed to record Game Boy Gallery 3, the Japanese version of Game & Watch Gallery 3?

Just to make sure - the current rules say: Original language version and English.
However - if the original version is pretty much identical except say the main screen - then that isnt really enough.
But if the original game has a different name - then it is acceptable!

The rule is mainly meant to exist for text heavy games like RPGs where the original language and English might be quite different!
Like Super Mario RPG JP vs US would be such an example :)

You are allowed to record whatever you want - however that does not mean that all of them might be accepted currently :)
Eventually when the new website exists and we have the tools to handle such releases it might happen - but not anytime soon - as we dont want to encourage ppl doing the same games over and over :)
If the japanese version of Game & Watch Gallery 3 has different games - then yes its acceptable.
If the japanese version of Game & Watch Gallery 3 had a different name than the EU/US version - then its also acceptable.
If the japanese version of Game & Watch Gallery has the same name as the EU/US version and there isnt any big difference, then it isnt acceptable!

Hope this makes it abit clearer :)
DiggerandIndy

ScHlAuChi wrote:

Just to make sure - the current rules say: Original language version and English.
However - if the original version is pretty much identical except say the main screen - then that isnt really enough.
But if the original game has a different name - then it is acceptable!

The rule is mainly meant to exist for text heavy games like RPGs where the original language and English might be quite different!
Like Super Mario RPG JP vs US would be such an example :)

You are allowed to record whatever you want - however that does not mean that all of them might be accepted currently :)
Eventually when the new website exists and we have the tools to handle such releases it might happen - but not anytime soon - as we dont want to encourage ppl doing the same games over and over :)
If the japanese version of Game & Watch Gallery 3 has different games - then yes its acceptable.
If the japanese version of Game & Watch Gallery 3 had a different name than the EU/US version - then its also acceptable.
If the japanese version of Game & Watch Gallery has the same name as the EU/US version and there isnt any big difference, then it isnt acceptable!

How this makes it abit clearer :)

Thanks! I'll add this to a Cheat Sheet I have.
Spazbo4
you can totally replace my super mario sunshine longplay if you want to do 120 stars
If I can't be the best then I certainly won't be the worst.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.