771 posts | Last Activity on 03-04-2011 09:44 by JonL
JonL
JonL 03-04-2011 09:44, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
Re: Question on FRAPS
We are talking about files recorded with FRAPS here, not the HD PVR. The codec is well known, not exotic. The sound desync is probably linked to the FRAPS codec.
And as FRAPS splits the output video every 4 GB, you get a LOT of files (like 300 for Half-Life 2, for instance).

Indeed, the number of calls to DirectShowSource per AVS script is VERY limited (the DirectX DLL is loaded each time you call it or something), which means you can only have like 10-20 avi file appended in an AVS script (the limit seems to vary on every computer) and then you need to create a new one, and append the whole thing using mkvmerge, which is an additional hassle. AviSource, on the other hand, is documented to be limited to something like 60 calls per AVS script, and I have successfully used it to append 50 AVI files in every AVS script. Not perfect, but still better.

In my opinion, when it comes to FRAPS recording, you should definitely not advise people to use DirectShowSource.

By the way, there's a plugin for AviSynth named ffmpegsource that adds two new commands (FFVideoSource and FFAudioSource). They use ffmpeg, you guessed it. They can handle any exotic codecs AND are documented to be frame accurate, so I would advise to use that instead.
Responded in Question on FRAPS
Connor
Connor 03-04-2011 07:08, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
The performance (and issues) of DirectShowSource depends on the codecs and splitters installed. AviSource uses AviSynth internal code and will have rather limited support for exotic stuff. For example, it refuses to load my M2TS-files the Hauppauge HD PVR creates (obviously, they're not even AVIs...)

I use ffdshow for all encoding and decoding on my Windows-machine, so they are used for DirectShowSource as well, and have absolutely no issues with sound synchronization. Although, I haven't tried THAT many clips appended, since I have other issues then (which, of course, could also be a DirectShowSource-problem), only ~10 in each AVS.
JonL
JonL 02-04-2011 22:28, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
Actually the FAQ indicating how to encode FRAPS movies takes multiple AVI files into account Wink

And I wouldn't use DirectShowSource because it's not frame accurate, which leads to noticable sound desynchronization when encoding, especially when there are a lot of files to append (exactly the FRAPS scenario). I did that mistake at first, and won't do it again!
Ivan
Ivan 02-04-2011 20:33, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
Thanks for the answers, multiple avi files are OK so I won't panic 8)
I will translate all the tecnical info you gave me another time, while treasuring it.

Ivan
Connor
Connor 02-04-2011 18:37, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS

Tsunao wrote:
I, however, don't like MKVmerge as MKV files made from it won't play in Divx Video player. Plus, if it was to be uploaded on FailTube, the audio and video won't be synced (from my experience with uploading Cocorin on cubex and ZX on my personal channel).
What I do is use MKVmerge to make my one whole file, extract the video and audio fiile (h.264 and .aac), and then remux them in MeGUI. That is what I did with Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Chrono Trigger.

That's really odd, since MeGUI uses mkvmerge for muxing to Matroska. But perhaps it's an older version, or has default settings to not use compressed headers (the new feature that made mkvmerge start failing on many devices).

I used mkvmerge for Uncharted, and there are no issues with audiosync on YT.

Oh, and if we're talking complicated AviSynth-scripts, I'm quite proud of the following snippet from my Valkyria Chronicles longplay, where I sped up the video for a grinding section, added background music and spliced that in between two other clips;
Code

break=DirectShowSource("Rawbreakdown.mp3", video=false).SSRC(48000)
clip_start=24253
clip_end=89288
ch_2=Trim(raw, clip_start, clip_end)
dummy=BlankClip(ch_2.FrameCount, 16, 16, "YV12", ch_2.FrameRateNumerator, ch_2.FrameRateDenominator)
dummy=Trim(AudioDub(dummy, break), 0, 9415)
ch_2=ChangeFPS(AssumeFPS(ch_2, 414, true), ch_1.FrameRate)
ch_2=AudioDub(ch_2, dummy)
ch_2=ch_2+Trim(raw, clip_end+1, 90080)

:-) :-)
Tsunao
Tsunao 02-04-2011 18:04, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
Sounds like something I always do.
Don't mean to echo, but what Connor said.

I, however, don't like MKVmerge as MKV files made from it won't play in Divx Video player. Plus, if it was to be uploaded on FailTube, the audio and video won't be synced (from my experience with uploading Cocorin on cubex and ZX on my personal channel).
What I do is use MKVmerge to make my one whole file, extract the video and audio fiile (h.264 and .aac), and then remux them in MeGUI. That is what I did with Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Chrono Trigger.

Also, AviSynth has a trim option for "cutting" out parts (it is more like "display these frames"Wink. I find it very easy to use. Use VirtualDub to find the frames. VirtualDub can also also "read" AVS files (drag and drop).

Dunno if this will help, but here is what I use for trimming:
Code

e1=trim(x,y)
e2=trim(x,y)
e3=trim(x,y)
e1 + e2 + e3

X is the where you want to start and Y is where you want to stop. Say I want to display frames 234 to 43210. That will be e1=trim(234, 43210). The E1 plus E2 etc are to bring them together. You can also add stuff like dissolve and Fade in and Fade out.

Example of what I used for my [hopefully acceptable] Ape Escape 3 Longplay:
Code

e1=trim(500, 20250)
e2=trim(21005, 86560)
e3=trim(87405, 178430)
e4=trim(179795, 361980)
e5=trim(377280, 505545)
e6=trim(511860, 538325)
e7=trim(539225, 666765)
e8=trim(680855, 723205)
e9=trim(733310, 762120)
e1 + e2 + e3 + e4 + e5 + e6 + e7 + e8 + e9

That is pretty much all 5 Ape Escape 3 clips put together and "edited".

How about a somewhat complicate one from doing Parasite Eve on a PSP with RemoteJoyLite:
Code

e1=trim(400, 23560).crop( 80, 24, -82, -24).LanczosResize(640,480)
e2=trim(23561, 25500).crop(80, 22, -80, -16).LanczosResize(640,480)
e3=trim(25501, 32325).crop( 80, 24, -82, -24).LanczosResize(640,480)
e4=trim(32326, 33635).crop(80, 22, -80, -16).LanczosResize(640,480)
e5=trim(33636, 58054).crop( 80, 24, -82, -24).LanczosResize(640,480)
Connor
Connor 02-04-2011 17:30, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
The easiest way to prevent the issues with appending many clips in AviSynth is to find a "good" cutpoint, such as the game fading to black and silence, and then end the AVS there, making a new one for the next section.

Then encode each AVS to proper formats, use mkvmerge as usual to create MKV-files, and finally append all MKV-files to each other, also using mkvmerge.

The reason I suggest finding good cutpoints is that I've notice some minor issues when merging MKV-files, it won't be a frame-perfect merge like you'd get with AviSynth, so it's safer to find cutpoints with no no audio and black/static video.

I did this with my Uncharted-run, since I had something like 30 clips. I did it in three steps and merged those at the end. I dare anyone to figure out where those merges are. Smile
Tsunao
Tsunao 02-04-2011 17:25, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
I get it all the time. it isn't that bad. The only problem is renaming all the files so appending will be easier. If you need to append them together, use a script like this:
Code

AviSource("filepath"Wink +
AviSource("filepath"Wink

The "+" will add the next video. If you want to end, just don't add a "+".

You can substitute AviSource with DirectShowSource if you want. If you need to append more videos, just add more "AviSource("filepath"Wink +". Note that appending too many videos will disable audio..unless it is a time thing (happened to me while I was doing Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth).

Edit: welp, Connor beat me...sorta. LOL And he has a WAY better explanation that what I could come up with. Oh, and this site also accepts MP4 as well.
Connor
Connor 02-04-2011 17:24, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
Long time since I used FRAPS, but I assume it writes AVI-files? "Normal" AVIs are limited to 4GB each. There are extensions that allow more, but it seems to be badly supported in many encoders, so they segment the file instead.

Since this site requires the upload to be H264/AAC in an MKV-container, neither of which have this problem, it's not really an issue. Just merge the files together before the final encoding.
Ivan
Ivan 02-04-2011 15:37, 13 years ago Responded in Question on FRAPS
I have a problem with FRAPS: when i register something, I end up always with not one movie, but several ones each of 4180 mega in size, does anyone else experienced this? I already asked to FRAPS support, but still waiting an answer.
Any counsel will be welcome.
Thanks and bye,

Ivan
Connor
Connor 28-02-2011 08:05, 13 years ago Responded in [Howto] Encoding videos
Re: [Howto] Encoding videos
A trick for extracting a sequence from the middle of a movie is to not use;
Code
AviSource("file02.avi"Wink.trim(1,+ 
AviSource("file02.avi"Wink.trim(,0)+

but instead use;

Code
orig=AviSource("file02.avi"Wink
a=Trim(orig, 1,
b=Trim(orig, ,0)
a+b

(by the way, shouldn't the first trim also use '0' not '1'? AviSynth indexes the frames beginning at 0, so that will drop the first frame of the clip.

Anyway, this only loads the clip once, which is a lot faster if it is big, and will also work very well if you have lots of small clips that need cutting, since it basically at least halves the amount of file-loads used.

The "a+b" at the end is used to actually output something, putting AviSource and Trim into a variable like I do doesn't give any output.

Also, by splitting the two sections into two variables, it becomes much easier to do things like;
Code
Dissolve(a, b, 25)

which will merge the end of clip 'a' into the beginning of clip 'b' with a dissolve effect during 25 frames. Or;
Code
FadeOut(a, 12)
FadeIn(b, 12)

to fade-to-black between the clips for a total of 24 frames.
JonL
JonL 19-01-2011 16:27, 13 years ago Responded in [Howto] Fixing a corrupt longplay upload
Re: [Howto] Fixing a corrupt longplay upload
Imagine you have recorded a longplay, and the video file is 1.5 GB. You painfully upload it to the Longplays.org ftp server using several resumes, and then an admin tells you your file is corrupt.
You can either reupload your whole movie, or you can use PAR2 files.

PAR2 files are small(er) files that can be used to repair a corrupt file. Thus it is faster to upload PAR2 files to correct the corrupt video than to reupload the whole thing.
Here's how to do that:

[size=large]QuickPar[/size]

Download and install the free QuickPar application. Find it here:
http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

[size=large]Generating PAR2 Files[/size]

[img width=500]http://www.longplays.org/uploads/newbb/486_4d370e3469150.gif[/img]

1) Run QuickPar. The first time, the configuration dialog box appears. Click OK.
2) Click Add Files. Browse and select your longplay file (let's call it my_longplay.mp4)
3) Click Create.

[img width=500]http://www.longplays.org/uploads/newbb/486_4d370e507da89.gif[/img]

A set of files will be generated in the same folder as my_longplay.mp4, named something like this (this is just an example, filenames may vary according to the size of your longplay):
Code
my_longplay.mp4.par2
my_longplay.mp4.vol000+001.PAR2
my_longplay.mp4.vol001+002.PAR2
my_longplay.mp4.vol003+004.PAR2
my_longplay.mp4.vol007+008.PAR2
(...)
my_longplay.mp4.vol113+107.PAR2

The total size of the PAR2 files is smaller than the original video file. In this case, you get something like 150 MB. Notice that the first files are very small, and they get bigger and bigger near the end.

[img width=402]http://www.longplays.org/uploads/newbb/486_4d370e5912c62.gif[/img]

[size=large]Uploading PAR2 Files[/size]

If you upload all PAR2 files to the same folder as your longplay, admins can use them to repare any corruption in the longplay file.
If you can afford it, that's the recommended procedure.

If you have a very slow connection, however, you can try and upload the first few (smaller) PAR2 files and keep the larger ones for later. There are chances that admins will be able to fix your longplay anyway. But it's rather a matter of luck, and you might be asked to upload more PAR2 files.
RickyC
RickyC 09-01-2011 14:07, 13 years ago Responded in Discworld Download 404
Re: Discworld Download 404
Yeah, they're both the old links. I think geekmeister said he was going to replace them with a new discworld video sometime, since the old one had problems.
Responded in Discworld Download 404
V
vippin 09-01-2011 01:52, 13 years ago Responded in Discworld Download 404
Re: Discworld Download 404
I believe Discworld for PC download and mirror are both non-working.

Verify?
Responded in Discworld Download 404
Keplerplaytru
Keplerplaytru 01-01-2011 17:49, 13 years ago Responded in Guide to recording/editing video games
Re: Guide to recording/editing video games
Just for the record, I started recording Lost Horizon and at 60 FPS and my resolution of 1680x1050, it uses 4GB for every 45 seconds. Grin
I'll have to make it in 30FPS!
Keplerplaytru
Keplerplaytru 31-12-2010 21:09, 13 years ago Responded in Guide to recording/editing video games
Thanks man!!

I'm familiar with using fraps and then reediting with videopad and uploading to youtube.

That whole scripting thing is very new to me, but nothing some reading (lot of reading actually), questions and practice won't do.

Another thing that will be a step learning curve is the Virtual Dub, but the video merging was the biggest question of them all, the rest is more a logical thing.

About the reencode videoparts and sizes, I'll see what I can manage over here.

Thanks for the info, coming soon Dead Space (maybe, I may not have the guts to do it...) and Lost Horizon. Don't know in wich order.
Tsunao
Tsunao 31-12-2010 19:00, 13 years ago Responded in Guide to recording/editing video games
I hope I am helpful.
The encoding thing may sound complex, but it really isn't.

I think recording at full size would be better. Should still be viewable.

Here is some information with FRAPS and what-not.

After recording the video files with Fraps, the next step would be exactly what?

Can I put two video files togheter on Virtual Dub or the program just re-encode a single video file?

If you don't have anything to edit out, there is a AVS script that allows you to put in the video parts one after another and then do the encoding thing.

Code

AviSource("file01.avi"Wink+
AviSource("file02.avi"Wink+
AviSource("file03.avi"Wink

Just replace "file01.avi" with the directory to your video file. If you have multiple ones, you have to do it for all the other parts as well. It's not that bad.

If you need to "edit" out, you can use VirtualDub. That is what I use. I then save it using ffdshow codec. There is also an AVS script that can "cut" parts out a la VirtualDub. You have to figure out the frames to "cut" though. =/ VirtualDub helps, even if MeGUI has a video preview (VirtualDub is faster for searching.) The AVS Cutter in MeGUI is located under Tools.

What's the average size for the videos after they're re-encoded with virtual dub? And on the final merge?

Depends on the codec for VirtualDub. As for the merge, it will usually be MUCH less. Size is determined by the settings when using x264 thing. To give you an idea: I did a Heavenly Guardian Longplay. The original recording was 32GB for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Re-encode with VirtualDub (to "edit" out mistakes) and came out to 50GB. After doing all the merging and stuff, it came out to 600-somethingMB (how I got a 1GB file when I uploaded it on my channel, I do not know).
Keplerplaytru
Keplerplaytru 31-12-2010 15:54, 13 years ago Responded in Guide to recording/editing video games
Hey nice guide Ricky, I've just introduced myself

I normally made Let's plays for youtube and I'm really newbie to this complex encoding so I have some questions:

After recording the video files with Fraps, the next step would be exactly what?

Can I put two video files togheter on Virtual Dub or the program just re-encode a single video file? Do you guys only merge all the 3 min parts at the end, with the mkv merger, keep 30 minutes files or what?

What's the average size for the videos after they're re-encoded with virtual dub? And on the final merge? This for a recording like Half-life 2 on a 1680x1050 resolution, using half size of the original size. I reencoded with MPEG2 on videopad with the highest KB/S rate wich was 9000 and got 500 Mega for 10 minutes. I just wanted to know to see how much disk space I will have to save for my longplay records.

And a little offtopic, if I wanted to make 15min flash versions right from Fraps, is there any good free program to do so?

Thanks in advance. Smile
koippis
koippis 22-12-2010 09:14, 13 years ago Responded in Guide to recording/editing video games
FCEUX 2.1.4a..Well have to change to that I think...Thank for your answer Tsunao..
Tsunao
Tsunao 21-12-2010 18:54, 13 years ago Responded in Guide to recording/editing video games
I use FCEUX for anything NES. Rather than 2.1.2, it is 2.1.4a.

I used it for the Crystalis (making AVI without using the movie function) and Kick Master (made a movie file and then played movie and made AVI file) longplays (and on my personal channel, The Legend of Zelda and I think G.I. Joe.). I pretty much say it IS the best emulator for NES recording.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.