Bounty system

Last updated on 9 years ago
G
Word up,

Another interesting feature I found on Speed Demos Archive is the bounty system where you can promote the realization of a long play of your favourite game by offering a bounty for it. Check this thread for more info on how they did it: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/p...ns361.html. Would something in the like be feasable for WoLPs as well? The way they are doing it is individuals offering a specific amount of money for a speed run with specific parameters (certain percentage of the game done, time limit, specific difficulty, with/without glitches etc etc...), while here on WoLPs it could be something like a kickstarter esque system where people offer money up for grabs and when the run is done and accepted, the person who did it recieves the money. That way, the more people interested in a specific long play, the more money gets addded to the bounty, thus making it much more worthwile for, let's say, someone who isn't maybe particularly interested in the very game but is an experienced gamer and long play maker and wants to take it up, or just haven't bothered with it yet because it was a particularly long and difficult game. That way there would also be some kind of compensation for the actual work the person does for the long play as some of the games take a very very long time to play through. What are your thoughts? There are some games that will not be done, ever, just because they are too ug. This would be a great way to combat that.

Cheers!

P.S. I would be more than willing to scrape up a couple a dozen bucks for a good long play of a game I love.
Pronto!
ScHlAuChi
Could be interesting :)
boricuaretrogamer
Yeah I agree with Schlauchi.
Puerto Rico...GAME ON, Level Up & Happy Gaming!!!Smile
J
A bounty system would work but we'd need a way to make sure the individual got paid for his time if that is the point to it.
Connor
Simple. (In concept, not implementation...)

Allocate a number of moneys from teh YouTube each month and add to a pool. Give a number of "voting points" to active members of the community and let them use those points to "vote" for requests. The more votes there are for a request, the more money the LPer get when fulfilling the request, paid out from the pool.

Two points of major work; 1. define "active" in a good way to allow people to vote, but prevent abuse and 2. revamp the request-system to be controlled as a site module, not just posts in a forum thread.

There's probably also a problem with taxes and crap, of course, there always are.

A simpler way would be that the one who puts out the bounty puts the money in some kind of escrow when someone starts to work on it.
B

JagOfTroy wrote:A bounty system would work but we'd need a way to make sure the individual got paid for his time if that is the point to it.

This issue is addressed in the building trade by having work done in stages. You trust the builder with enough money to dig the foundations, and when the foundations are done they get money for the walls, then the roof, then decorating etc. Similarly, most games are divided into stages, one way or another. If I was playing Ocarina of Time, for instance, I might do the Child Link stages, ask for a third of the bounty, then the Forest/Fire/Water temples, ask for another third, then finally do the Shadow/Spirit temples and Ganons' castle. I could thus minimise the time I wasted on a non-payment, and if I gave up halfway through then another player could take my saves and videos and continue.

Since the biggest problem is likely people who offer but have no intention to pay, making the first installment a small one (eg a buck for the Deku Tree) would filter out most of the bad offers and since a non serious offer would never result in a full longplay, people would post less non-serious bounties in the first place.

Making the bounty a matter between private individuals would be a lot easier for the site, with less legal liability. Escrow schemes and the like are a can of worms not worth opening IMO.
G

BadJim wrote:

JagOfTroy wrote:A bounty system would work but we'd need a way to make sure the individual got paid for his time if that is the point to it.

This issue is addressed in the building trade by having work done in stages. You trust the builder with enough money to dig the foundations, and when the foundations are done they get money for the walls, then the roof, then decorating etc. Similarly, most games are divided into stages, one way or another. If I was playing Ocarina of Time, for instance, I might do the Child Link stages, ask for a third of the bounty, then the Forest/Fire/Water temples, ask for another third, then finally do the Shadow/Spirit temples and Ganons' castle. I could thus minimise the time I wasted on a non-payment, and if I gave up halfway through then another player could take my saves and videos and continue.

Since the biggest problem is likely people who offer but have no intention to pay, making the first installment a small one (eg a buck for the Deku Tree) would filter out most of the bad offers and since a non serious offer would never result in a full longplay, people would post less non-serious bounties in the first place.

Making the bounty a matter between private individuals would be a lot easier for the site, with less legal liability. Escrow schemes and the like are a can of worms not worth opening IMO.

I hear ya buddy - you had a lot of good points in there, but I would like to say that I disagree with one, or have a solution for a problem pointed out by you more the like. The donations would have to happen real time, or, if possible, like with Kickstarter or some other indie financing platform; you gather up info on how much willing donators there are and what the total sum of potential donations would be and then when the timer runs out, people will be charged in advance before the actual production on the longplay commences. Even though this eliminates the possibility of people not ending up paying for the bounty, it would, however, create a converse trust issue from the perspective of donators as they have no control over the money in case the longplayer decides to take the money and scram. So yeah, it's like of an impasse where the other person inevitably would have to take a big chance, unless we are speaking of very small donations like 1-5 euros / dollars per person.
Pronto!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.