Intellivision Longplay Questions

Last updated on 7 months ago
D
I have some questions for the Moderators/Admins about Intellivision longplays. ScHlAuChi messaged me complaining about the resolutions of the longplays, stating that they had "bad scaling artifacts" and was in the "wrong resolution". I have two questions:

1. What's the correct resolution for Intellivision longplays?

2. There are some games that have borders on them, like Pinball, for instance. Here's a link to a picture for an example:
https://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2020_06/pin1.png.644f25e749b2922d095aaa598ec3c2c7.png

Some games like Q*Bert have a small part of screen cut off.
https://youtu.be/bYp04Ns39Kw

Should I crop it or leave it as is? I've recently cropped some games in order to comply with the no-borders rule. Since there is no discussion of Intellivision until now, I've recorded the games via 640x480. Any feedback would help. Thanks!
KAGE-008
I was also told about the wrong resolution issue via Discord. I eventually found some pixel-perfect screenshots of Intellivision games at 320x200 after a further investigation.
D

Quote

KAGE-008 wrote:

I was also told about the wrong resolution issue via Discord. I eventually found some pixel-perfect screenshots of Intellivision games at 320x200 after a further investigation.


Okay, now is that the default resolution, or am I supposed to double it like you can with some systems?
KAGE-008

Quote

DiggerandIndy wrote:

Okay, now is that the default resolution, or am I supposed to double it like you can with some systems?


You still need to double-resize it in the encoding script.
D

Quote

KAGE-008 wrote:

Quote

DiggerandIndy wrote:

Okay, now is that the default resolution, or am I supposed to double it like you can with some systems?


You still need to double-resize it in the encoding script.


Okay, so I take it that the official size is 640x400, then?

Lastly, what about cropping? Like Pinball for instance, do I need to crop that or leave it as is?
KAGE-008

Quote

DiggerandIndy wrote:
Okay, so I take it that the official size is 640x400, then?

Lastly, what about cropping? Like Pinball for instance, do I need to crop that or leave it as is?


If cropping is needed for a specific game, then do it, yeah.
D

Quote

KAGE-008 wrote:

Quote

DiggerandIndy wrote:
Okay, so I take it that the official size is 640x400, then?

Lastly, what about cropping? Like Pinball for instance, do I need to crop that or leave it as is?


If cropping is needed for a specific game, then do it, yeah.


Alright, thanks a lot! This is a big help.
MadMatty
Bizhawk is outputting 176x208 and displaying at at 554x416 which does look ... ok.

Wiki says , the system is 0x12 tiled playfield, tiles are 8x8 pixels for a resolution of 160x96

upscalling to 4x to 640x384 although pixels some how look off. (When using bizhawks 176x208 source)

needs some thought.

Looking at the screenshots of the submitted longplays, they definitely look wrong with bilinier filtering and display errors.
KAGE-008

Quote

MadMatty wrote:

Looking at the screenshots of the submitted longplays, they definitely look wrong with bilinier filtering and display errors.


In my case, I used Nearest Neighbor in VirtualDub for the resize. But the actual resolution is something to really investigate.
NPI
In that case, the Intelli longplays had to be deleted. Sorry guys.
D

Quote

NPI wrote:

In that case, the Intelli longplays had to be deleted. Sorry guys.


Ugh. I'll let the Admins/Moderators figure the Intellivision out. Never did like the system, anyways.
D
Please, reupload now!!
KAGE-008

Quote

danielalcolea wrote:

Please, reupload now!!


We'll do that once we figure out the appropriate resolution for Intellivision games. I might ask the TASVideos team how they do the proper encoding without any defects in the final video.
KAGE-008
You need to do this process for Intellivision stuff to display properly:

Using VirtualDub, crop the AVI 8 lines in each border (9 for the right one), then resize to 318x192 with Nearest Neighbor algorithm and if necessary, a second crop at the left side. Rescaling to double size is required. This should be the final result (right click on the image):

i.postimg.cc/XqSNtr2P/Intellivision-Longplay-Donkey-Kong-Jr-US.jpg
NPI
What the admins say now? Are the Intelli longplays good to be uploaded?
KAGE-008

Quote

NPI wrote:

What the admins say now? Are the Intelli longplays good to be uploaded?


ScHlAuChi told me after showing him the screenshot above that it looks much better than the previous videos. We need MadMatty's word on this though.

Also a bit offtopic, but some of Digger's MSX longplays are using a wrong resolution as well. Since those are MSX1 games, they should be at 512x384 after cropping and rescaling (512x416 for MSX2 games).
D
Try again
MadMatty
I haven't looked at them all but I guess results will all be much better than previous submissions.

Results are pretty similar to mine. Taking bizhawks output of 176x208, then cropping 8 pixels from all sides and only doubling horizontally I get to 320x192. Any further cropping will be game dependent. Then a final doubling to 640x384 for a more watchable video.

i.postimg.cc/s20Ng7V9/intelivision-settings.png
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.