PS2 recording

Last updated on 7 years ago
martanius
Hello,

what resolution should I record a PS2 game in?

I've read that there are different resolutions for PAL and NTSC.

NTSC is 640x480 (480i 30FPS)
PAL is 640x576 (576i 25FPS)

Is this correct?

Thanks.
You won't know it 'till you try it.
M
and also what about 16:9 resolutions?
martanius
From what I read, not all games support 16:9 resolution, but when they do, it runs at... 720p? Not sure about that, thats why I'm asking first :)
MadMatty
How are you capturing?
martanius
Using this:

http://www.avermedia.com/cz/gaming/pr...er_extreme
MadMatty
ok, well as it's an SD console always record in 4:3 aspect even if the game is set to widescreen otherwise you are just chucking pixels away. there is no benefit to recording in widescreen anyway as all that happens is the screen is adapted ready to be squished by the tv, and as the output is always 4:3 576 you will endup with a lower resolution image in the end. It is the same with original xbox and wii.

you will be wanting to record with full 60fps of course. at 480i/576i or you may even come across a game supporting 480p
martanius
Thank you.

Btw. even if the game runs at a maximum of 30FPS I should record it at 60FPS?
MadMatty

martanius wrote:

Thank you.

Btw. even if the game runs at a maximum of 30FPS I should record it at 60FPS?

Yes. especially games using interlaced screens as you will have odd/even frames at 30fps each to build the full image. The video encoder is intelligent enough not to allocate bitrate to double frames anyway so file size wont be affected to much.
martanius
Ok. Thank you very much.

EDIT
------------------------

I did some sample recording. Would this be accepted, if I record the rest of the longplay same way?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trwwmg451j4...t.mkv?dl=0

Maybe I missundertood something. I know I have to record it in 60FPS, but do I have to encode it at 60FPS as well?
MadMatty
Good job I downloaded the sample as Dropbox video was awful to watch :D

Quality looks ok. Is the game set to widescreen? as the car looked kind of squished. also 638x resolution is a little odd.

yes you should encode at 60 as some elements of the video, menu , loading screens maybe will hit 60. The encoder is intelligent enough to not apply significant bitrate to double frames.
martanius
Ok. The aspect ratio is set to 4:3. Some other guys video here from the game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgjtZ02kg0 - the car looks squished as well. Thats how it is supposed to look.

About the odd resolution, I just cropped the black borders, so it lowered resolution little bit. This is how the source video looks like:

imageshack.com/a/img924/8738/Ylt9nl.png

Btw... I encoded it using sony vegas with x264 codec with the same settings I have for longplays in megui, so the quality should be same. And I rendered it in 25FPS and by me, it looks smoother.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hv3ixyalh5v...s.mkv?dl=0

So tell if I really shall encode it in 60 FPS using megui or 25FPS using sony vegas. By me the one from sony vegas looks better. What do you say?

Quality comparsion

This is from the sample rendered using sony vegas:

Video
ID : 1
Form?t : AVC
Form?t/ : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile : High@L3
Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Ano
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 4 frame
CodecID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration/String : 7 min 34 s
Bit rate : 4 263 kb/s
Width : 720pixely
Height : 576pixely
Aspect ratio : 5:4
Frame rate : 25,000 FPS
Standard : PAL
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling/String : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bits
ScanType/String : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.411
StreamSize/String : 231 MiB (93%)
Encoder : x264 core 148 r2694bm 3b70645
Encoder settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Ano
Forced : Ne

This is from the sample using megui:

Video
ID : 1
Form?t : AVC
Form?t/ : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile : [email protected]
Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Ano
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 16 frame
CodecID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration/String : 7 min 34 s
Bit rate : 4 383 kb/s
Width : 638pixely
Height : 512pixely
Aspect ratio : 5:4
Frame rate : 60,000 FPS
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling/String : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bits
ScanType/String : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.224
StreamSize/String : 237 MiB (96%)
Encoder : x264 core 142 r2431 ac76440
Encoder settings : cabac=1 / ref=16 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=600 / keyint_min=60 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Ano
Forced : Ne
MadMatty
if its a Pal/Eu game then it will want to be recorded and encoded at 50 fps.

If its a 30/60 fps US game, then encoding at 25 is the worst thing you can do. The capture software should have noticed the correct input framerate.
martanius
Ok. Its PAL/EU version and on input is says its 50i FPS. Thanks for reply and help :)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.