Regarding " ' &, etc turning into crap

Last updated on 9 years ago
Ironclaw
I wanted to reply in the Shoutbox but it's worse than Twitter as you are not allowed to use that many characters, so I post it here instead.

mihaibest
30-10-2014 19:09
afaik special characters like ' are common in english so you are asking me to make grammar mistakes Pfft

Same thing with quotes, apostrophes, and "&", could be more.

They turn into:

" = "
' = '
& = &

Now imagine my standard descriptions for my movies, I usually type A LOT, using TONS of quotes and apostrophes. This makes the entire thing hard to read and ugly as f#ck.

Then we have the smileys, which I also like to use. The ": )" I have in my texts turns into ":)", which becomes "SMILE" on YouTube as the uploader just copy and paste this broken text from WoL.

Just for fun, a demonstration text sample:

I upload this one with my longplay:

I've used shortcuts in my last 4 adventure longplays now (pressing "O" instead of "Open" ). I wonder what you guys think - is that OK? Or do you prefer that I press the worded buttons instead? For me it's easier and faster to use the shortcuts. I could even press the number keys to select the questions/answers if wanted. I guess in most point-and-click adventure games you have to do it with the mouse, but not in these LucasArts/Lucasfilm games (so far anyway). So, if I do more of those games and don't hear any complaints, I'll keep using the shortcuts : )

This is how it's displayed on this site:

I've used shortcuts in my last 4 adventure longplays now (pressing "O" instead of "Open"). I wonder what you guys think - is that OK? Or do you prefer that I press the worded buttons instead? For me it's easier and faster to use the shortcuts. I could even press the number keys to select the questions/answers if wanted. I guess in most point-and-click adventure games you have to do it with the mouse, but not in these LucasArts/Lucasfilm games (so far anyway). So, if I do more of those games and don't hear any complaints, I'll keep using the shortcuts :)

And it's the same on YouTube but the smileys becomes words instead. It even adds extra smileys where there shouldn't be any. (one simple fix could be to just disable smileys, but only in video descriptions of course, not the forums...)

This adds even more problems, because I sometimes type so much I reach the character limit on YouTube, so the descriptions I add to my movies on this site does fit on YouTube (as I use the same ones on my own channel), but not after all the " ' & : P has become SOOOO much longer.

Yeah yeah, it is what it is, I just hope it will be fixed sometime, as it's been like this from the beginning.

www.i-mockery.com/generalzod/sticker-large.gif
Jihao
I was just trying to be grammatically correct.

I didn't know that would be my own downfall.
Anything that isnt COD is a game that may be worth playing.
Ironclaw
It has bugged me from the beginning. Nice to finally see someone else mention it.
R
Glad to see an admin adressing problems on the website. Perhaps there will be one less elephant in the room.
Ironclaw

Reinc wrote:

Glad to see an admin adressing problems on the website. Perhaps there will be one less elephant in the room.

Right, I got Admin status. That was only so I can fix/repair the description of my movies myself. I'm not doing anything "adminy" for the site :P

When a movie has been uploaded, the text will have all the errors I mentioned in my first post, those can manually be fixed so they look right on the site, as the transfer from upload to display is what breaks it. But, I'm only doing it for MY movies B)
AdminBot
This issue should now be fixed! If it's still a problem then tell me! That's what this forum is for :)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.