Question about recording

Last updated on 9 years ago
F
Hello

I'm trying to record the game Riviera: the Promised Land (GBA), which I asked before.
I'm using VirtualDub 1.10.4 to record the videos, using the Xvid MPEG-4 Codec for video and Microsoft ADPCM 48000kHz. Reading the tutorials, looks like I will be able to convert those videos to the right format/extension later.
The sound appears to be alright, but I'm worried with the images: the video was insanely big, after 2 minutes I had over 4 GB. I needed 24 hours to finish the game. I will be unable to record without compression, so I'm compressing the video with Xvid MPEG-4 Codec.

https://mega.co.nz/#!Y95AmJYI!dWP2JvwwRTZBoqkcFFK5aUp0E5BSGUlNXAW0s0WJurc

Sorry for being a link to Mega, I know, it'll take some time.
The left image is the image in-game, and the right image is the recorded one.

Is the quality loss too big? If yes, what should I do to record the video with quality and a acceptable size?

FurretUber
QuadCoreShock
If video quality is important, I use Dxtory with Lagarith's Lossless Codec (which results in some pretty high quality recordings)

Average filesize of a 2-3 minute PSX recording (640x480@30fps) was ~650MB, expect to see that fluctuate with different resolution settings, quality settings etc.

If you think a lower quality is acceptable, Dxtory also has some lossy codecs that can be used with adjustable quality and framerate settings.

Hope that helps!
Veni, vidi, vici

THE COLOUR OF SIN
MadMatty
Dxtory is not acceptable for psx recording. You need to use the emulators own avi dumping ability. PSXJin can do this and very soon the much preferred emulator Bizhawk.
F
Thank you for the answers, but part of my question is still unanswered:

FurretUber wrote:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Y95AmJYI!dWP2JvwwRTZBoqkcFFK5aUp0E5BSGUlNXAW0s0WJurc

Sorry for being a link to Mega, I know, it'll take some time.
The left image is the image in-game, and the right image is the recorded one.

Is the quality loss too big? If yes, what should I do to record the video with quality and a acceptable size?

Now I know a new codec I could use to record if I have to change.

As can be seen in the image, the left one (in-game) has some more details (colours). I want to know if the quality loss is too big to know if my record will be accepted, because if after recording 24 hours of game I discover it won't be accepted would be frustrating...

FurretUber
boricuaretrogamer
hello FurretUber. if you're going to record PSX games, I recommend PSXJin with rerecording option. This emulator has its own AVI dumpng ability like MadMatty said.
In codecs, Lagarith Lossless Codec is used for encoding video process. DON'T USE Xvid Codec. It's not recommended
Also if you are going to make new AVI video in VirtualDub, do the follows:
1.Video >Compression>Select Lagarith Lossless Codec, then enable Force keyframes every 60 fps.
2.Video>Frame Rate>in the section of Source Rate adjustment, select Change so audio and video durations match.
in the second section Frame Rate Conversion, select Convert to fps, input 60.
Puerto Rico...GAME ON, Level Up & Happy Gaming!!!Smile
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.